Skunk River Artifact Show (pics)

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
I had the privilidge of attending the show early yesterday morning and while there were some awesome displays (as there always is) I think the display at the courthouse should have won first prize!

I thought I would share some pics of the show and the display at the courthouse. If I read it right at the courthouse, this display was donated in 1959 to the Keokuk County Courthouse by a single old lady. Her grandfather was one of the first settlers to the area and between her grandfather, father and her passion for collecting artifacts, they accumulated a ton of awesome pieces. Most of them were found in two counties in Iowa with the exception of the bird points coming from Wyoming. Besides, the axes, celts, hammer stones, gorget and other great stuff she had I think the coolest pieces had to be those pre-form blades. Not sure if those blades were actually found in Iowa because I don't see those very often around here but they were sweet!

Other pics of the show include two wooly mammoth leg bones that were found last fall and some pics of the last Ioway encampment along the Des Moines River that existed when the white settlers arrived. Obviously everything back then was traded. Lots of really cool stuff that has been excavated from the site.

Thanks again Tomcat for setting this up. If I can make one show a year - it would probably be this one! (Dave & Lee - nice talking to you guys again!)

Enjoy

101_6352.jpg

101_6353.jpg

101_6360.jpg

101_6365.jpg

101_6367.jpg

101_6374.jpg

101_6375.jpg

101_6380.jpg

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Wow! Can you imagine what it was like to hunt artifacts back when the pioneers first turned the soil? Oops! I'm drooling. Thanks for the report and pictures, Sprig!

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Some real nice pics Sprig :headbang: Glad you guys had a good time! With all this rain the rivers are all coming up yet again :-\ oh well.....

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
Thanks for the pics Sprig! some dandy pieces and colors. Managed to pop one tonight which is a twin to my avatar pic but one barb is missing - DANG!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prime_Focus said:
Wow! Can you imagine what it was like to hunt artifacts back when the pioneers first turned the soil? Oops! I'm drooling. Thanks for the report and pictures, Sprig!

Would have been easier to find them too, you could just pull them out of your body.... :laughing7

Great photos, thanks for sharing, I use to go to shows in St Louis and Kansas City when I lived there.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread