Skunked at the Fairgrounds!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
For the first time this fall I have been skunked at the fairgrounds!

Went for about an hour and a half in the woods behind the fairgrounds. No coins.
Grommets, 2 large rivets, a snap on a piece of old leather, but no coins. Not even a wheatie.

I almost couldn't leave. It was so dark I couldn't even see my display when I dug that old piece of leather with a snap on it.

I keep reading Slipperyjack's posts. Hoping and wishing my new procoil will get here before the snow. The sun is out, it is unseasonably warm. The weeds are dead. Everything is perfectly aligned, but the only high tones I got were from old cans!

Today is warm and wonderful. Here I sit at my desk, thinking I may need to work through lunch and leave a little early.......

HH
Mark

Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I feel for you, Mark! I worked my butt off yesterday for a Rosie and 10 wheats, along with a bunch of clad (mostly from the 60's/70's). I needed that one silver coin to extend my streak, and I got it, but it wasn't easy. I almost gave up. I still had some light left in the day, so I headed to a spot that produced 11 silvers for me over the past two weeks. I was sure that I had already found all the silver there, but I couldn't believe after 10 minutes of swinging my coil, I found the Rosie. I jumped in my car and headed home right after that. Unfortunately, the after work traffic in LA was bad, and it took me an hour to drive home. But my streak is still alive....it's crazy the things I do just to get some silver. :tongue3: :tongue3: :icon_jokercolor: I look at the expression of people's faces as they drive home from their hectic day at work, and I say to myself: "I bet nobody for miles on this freeway was digging in the dirt for the past 5 hours, looking for a few old pieces of silver except me."

Hope you can get back out there and prove to yourself there's still something at those Fairgrounds. I like to keep proving that the "silver park" is still producing, but I may be coming home empty one of these days ahead.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Thanks Nick!
I knew something wasn't right. Now I know. Whew! I was afraid it had something to do with the election.

Thanks Dan,
I feel better. Not certain that I'm not nuts, but at least I know that whatever it is I'm not the only one!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark....don't let it bother you. The coins will start poppin' out of there again. I see I'm not the only one who is stubborn ;D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D If you got skunked over here, then you have something to moan about :thumbsup:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hi Mark!
Ahhh skunked... I know the feeling! >:( I bought the pro coil & slapped it on my SE. I get good depth in trash-free areas, but most spots around here are pretty junky. I collect a lot of cans & other junk that I get hits on, trying to clean the area up so hopefully some good signals will come through.

Unfortunately, I haven't sufficiently melded with the SE so trashy areas are next to impossible to get good finds in unless they aren't real deep. It sounds like that area has big potential, especially with that V-nickel & Barber coming out of there! Keep at it! :wink:
Neil

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Bryce,
I am not the least bit surprised that you are "stubborn". You have to be to get as good at hitting deep silver as you are!
Thanks for the encouragement.

Neil,
Have you ever thought of a 5" coil for your SE? I go through junky areas with the Quattro with my 5" coil finding stuff everyone else left behind. It says "Maximum Target Seperation" and it really works well. When I pulled that barber dime last week I went back over the area, and found that it was less than 2 inches from a big chunk of an old can! Never would have even heard the dime with my larger coil. I have dug nails and junk from the same holes as I have coins.
If it works well with a Quattro it should make an SE just sing!
Thanks for the kind words.
Mark

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Have faith it will pick up. I found 41 cents in Wal-Mart parking lot. Its the largest paved area in our location. Walking for my health, and all the coins found on drivers side of the spaces. 1 quarter, 1 Dime, 6 cents. I had never thought of looking for coins. Now I will try to beat my beast while trying to keep healthy.

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I'm sorry, Mark can't come to the computer right now. The sun is shinning, it is 71 degrees in Northern Michigan, and he just bailed on his staff and went metal detecting. The weather by tomorrow and the weekend calls for rain and snow mixed, so he just up and left the rest of us to get the work done.

His jealous, but cowardly employees.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
The great part about this metal detecting thing we do.......skunked today....riches tomorrow...The next trip could be the one! Go et em..jgas

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
I have had day's like that.Kept hunting it will come. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread