apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, as the theory goes, I was suppose to have my first "go to the bank and pick up rolls" experience. Well, there was a minor brawl at school--2 boys decided they needed to duke it out--so I got off late. Gotta call parents, expel, assign out of school detention, etc. I am an assistant principal at a high school.
My only option was to roll up into the drive thru. I was determined to get at least a roll of something before I headed home.

I got 5 rolls of nickels, and 2 rolls of dimes. The drive thru tellers had no half dollars on hand. I now understand the concept of "skunk." :laughing9: The oldest nickel I found was a 1948 and a 1965 dime. But I will state this: I had so much fun just getting out the magnifying glass and having various websites up to look at mintmarks, dates, etc., it was still worth while. I even started a spread sheet--as I had seen others on the site do the same. The beer tasted even better! :headbang:

But one thing rings true, I did not loose any money and I still have that money to try again--that is one thing that is so great about this hobby!

I would have been estactic if I had found a real "keeper" but, all-in-all, I enjoyed it a great deal.
apush :read2:

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels are fine to do if you are looking for the denomination that gives you the most keepers. I did a lot of them last year and was pleasantly supprised by my finds. No major key dates but buffalos and wars will keep you going. I am just getting into dimes and since I hate looking at dates on them just rim search. So far this year have done pretty well with 5 so far this month. I will just say, do what you enjoy and if you up your volume you will get some keepers. Skunks are part of this hobbie, more often than not. Good luck to you.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I had so much fun just getting out the magnifying glass and having various websites up to look at mintmarks, dates, etc., it was still worth while. I even started a spread sheet--as I had seen others on the site do the same. The beer tasted even better!
looks like your hooked and you haven't even found any silver yet. take your time, enjoy the hobby and before you know it the finds start adding up. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. This is really a cool hobby. Yeap, I grew up in the 60s.
apush

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread