SkyHigh

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
blufftoflats.jpg
One of the best views I get to enjoy while walking a bluff top campsite. You can see for miles on a clear day. It's magical up top, artifacts and one of the prettiest limstone creeks I've ever witnessed. For the most part I am not a creek walker but am getting more and more convinced I need to be after seeing what you are all finding. I also might have to take up water diving as there is a breathtaking "Pool" in the creek right below the fields I walk. Eventually I will get around and post some pictures of the land, creek system and pool, and I almost forgot...some artifacts!

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope so 1point, it will be long winter, will miss out on shed hunting season but the goal is to be flipping flint by May/June...I need to also consider those creeks next year...it would sure extend my hunting season.

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
If you'd like, I'd be willing to keep an eye on your plowed field for you in the spring. All you have to do is tell me where it's at. Better send a private message, though. There are some shady characters that frequent this site. ;D

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Prime- I even make my wife wear a blindfold in to these sites ;D She has kicked my butt more than once when out flipping, once as we drove to the site for a day of hunting, she said I am going to find an axe today, I shrugged if off...at the end of the day we drove home with an axe she had found.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Breathtaking for Iowa smokin spot for shure thanks for sharing PaleoHunter you got it going on buddy, I always take time to reflect the areas something about just being where at one time was the center of activity walking the paths of many others trying to picture things into the thousands of years ago .Now as far as the squaw hunting with I have had mixed results "great find honey congrats that will look great in your frame" I had to make for you but you all know the real thoughts . I am onto her methods though she travels 20 feet in 30 min. might be time to trade her off for a pony.Lol

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Some great posts..... And artifacts too Paloe hunter :thumbsup: Thanks for all the effort you put into them, looks like a great place to spend some time!

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
almostneverlost- thanks for your reply, i love this hobby like u and all others on this site, i am glad to share my passion with you all and trust me i like when you all post your experiences as well, in the short time i have been on this forum, i already get the feeling there is some really neat guys and gals on her....except 1point...you gotta watch that rascal!! :wink: Kidding aside 1point is a good friend and just a downright solid person.

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
Awesome view Paleo! I think a lot of people concentrate too close to water and don't realize how far some of these campsites were from flowing water.

Thanks for sharing once again! :hello2:

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
hey sprig- agree 100% with your comments about water., if i can get to the skyhigh site after a good rain and a decent soil turn a guy can do really well, it will take ya sun up to sun down to cover it all. My problem is I am always the second set of footprints in it....early bird gets the worm is so true when others have permission to hunt. another spot i have is pretty well exclusive to me and my family, owners are very private, been friends with them for 20 plus years. i am fortunate that this location is a stratified site...one can find woodland to late archaic artifacts. I have never seen that i know of anything that would strongly resemble the paleo period, but my knowledge is limited. i also feel there is a presence of cahokian and some hopewell types of artifacts too, just in my opinion.

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
PaleoHunter said:
almostneverlost- thanks for your reply, i love this hobby like u and all others on this site, i am glad to share my passion with you all and trust me i like when you all post your experiences as well, in the short time i have been on this forum, i already get the feeling there is some really neat guys and gals on her....except 1point...you gotta watch that rascal!! :wink: Kidding aside 1point is a good friend and just a downright solid person.

Always a ballbuster on your back :wink: The only jab I have on Paleohunter is the fact that we were hunting together when I managed to spot the point in my avatar. Thank god it was 3 inches in my row otherwise it would be in one of his cases and not mine! ;D

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
1point's point in his avatar is simply put: a G9 or G10, it is thin to win, symmetrical, and has a fine needle tip point with bluegill teeth serrations, i don't have a point like that in my entire collection. it was fun watching him spot it, i will admit it, definitely jealous. :wink:
I have to be a good luck charm for 1point...i was also with him years ago when he flipped out what turned out to be one of the finest iowa axes i have ever seen...again, simply awesome.

arrowheadlee

Mar 10, 2011
Iowa
PaleoHunter said:
1point is a good friend and just a downright solid person.
:o ::)

:icon_scratch: Just when I was thinking you were going to be a good Guy Paleo, you have to go and say something like that. :dontknow: :BangHead: I'm thinking there's no :help: for you now because 1 point has you buffaloed real good already. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Just kidding Paleo, :hello: Jeff !!!

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
arrowheadlee- we just got to get 1point to show some of his artifacts...he has a dandy collection. If he wasn't sitting in tree so many hours trying to kill a boone & crockett buck he would have time to post some pictures. Springtime, he's in the field flipping flint, fall...usually standing in a fresh deer gut pile! He's one crazy, but good s.o.b. ;D

arrowheadlee

Mar 10, 2011
Iowa
PaleoHunter said:
arrowheadlee- we just got to get 1point to show some of his artifacts...he has a dandy collection. If he wasn't sitting in tree so many hours trying to kill a boone & crockett buck he would have time to post some pictures. Springtime, he's in the field flipping flint, fall...usually standing in a fresh deer gut pile! He's one crazy, but good s.o.b. ;D

:laughing7: Good luck at getting him to do that. He always tells me he's busy doing something, but I think he's just setting down stairs in his man cave watching Oprah on a big screen and eating bon bon's with tissue in hand. :laughing7: All kidding aside, I've seen his collection and it's a very nice one. In the spring he don't just flip the flint, he's the walking flint vacuum. :laughing7: Lets not forget he spends more time squatting next to a tree looking for a gobbler just after getting back from a walleye fishing trip. That lucky but good s.o.b. of a Guy. :thumbsup:

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
arrowheadlee said:
PaleoHunter said:

:laughing7: Good luck at getting him to do that. He always tells me he's busy doing something, but I think he's just setting down stairs in his man cave watching Oprah on a big screen and eating bon bon's with tissue in hand. :laughing7: All kidding aside, I've seen his collection and it's a very nice one. In the spring he don't just flip the flint, he's the walking flint vacuum. :laughing7: Lets not forget he spends more time squatting next to a tree looking for a gobbler just after getting back from a walleye fishing trip. That lucky but good s.o.b. of a Guy. :thumbsup:

SOB is right! :laughing7:

I'll never forget one day I took a call on my phone and didn't recognize who's number it was. This guys proceeded to chew me about about tresspassing in his creek looking for arrowheads and I had no right to be in there. I kept explaining to him that I did have permission to be in there and I was absolutely dumbfounded.

Now for the rest of the story.... Half way through the conversation I got really worried because I had just been in a creek that morning looking and it was my favorite spot (at that time). I was really worried I was a section of the creek that I wasn't supposed to be in so I thought this dude might be legit. Finally "1point" fesses up and was just kidden me and he had no idea I was in a creek earlier that morning. He definately got me.

Just remember - paybacks are a female dog in heat if you know what I mean buddy! :angry5: :laughing9:

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
:dontknow: Say what??? Tough crowd to please anymore! The guys on this forum need some harassing - justly deserved! Ya can't catch Lee on the phone so I guess a guy needs to camp on his front door. Sprig, Ya got me laughing again. You have to admit, that was funny s*** when I called you that day! ;D

All kidding aside, I hope to be posting finds all next year as it couldn't be any worse than this past year as far as the collecting goes. By the way Lee, those Bon Bons taste pretty dam good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread