Slate Lizards

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Slate Lizards or effigies are a group of stone 'problematicals' found in Ohio and surrounding states. Some of them were probably atlatl weights, some of them are similar to birdstones, some are like flattened plummets, some of them are finely made, and some of them are very crude. Aside from being interesting and quirky, they are one of the more common slate ornamental tools and for many years were fairly reasonable in price if you were looking to add some to your collection.

I have found 3 complete examples over the years and have a couple of broken pieces as well, and have added probably another 20 or so from auctions. Here are a couple of recent additions that will eventually go into that frame. If anyone has any, please feel free to post them. Conjecture about use is also more than welcome.

The first piece isn't very photogenic, but it's really well made. It is pictured in Ohio Slate Types, and in the Archaeological History of Ohio back in 1902. Ex Cameron Parks collection. It is pretty clearly an animal of some type.

Attachments

• IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last edited:

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yes, 1 of 3 and 2 of 3 do but the last one is interesting with those incised(?) lines and divots. Not sure what to make of it from the zoomorphic standpoint though.

Here is a Chumash lizard from California. It really takes on the shape of a lizard as opposed to mine.

Some lizards in California have incised lines and Inlaid beads.

Some lizards do not take on the shape of lizards and the depressions in the piece i showed i thought was possible that different sized beads may have been placed in those divots and fell out from tumbling in the creek.

Our lizards also take on the shape of sea creatures.

Here is a pic of a Chumash Lizard with inlaid beads that has a similar black polished look.

I was speculating and admittidly tend do do that sometimes.

Also incised stones in general from California are found with circular depressions and incised lines. Natives here had tattoo's of dots and lines. There are 2 dots inside a triangular portion of the insiced lines.

Out of respect for the theme of the thread i dont want to elaborate to much but i can provide more info for you personally if you would like or for anybody interested.

30519976_1.jpg

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Out of respect for the theme of the thread i dont want to elaborate to much but i can provide more info for you personally if you would like or for anybody interested.

No worries from my side, that is a pretty lizardy looking artifact, it certainly fits the topic of the thread.

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lizards people are showing. These are from Ohio. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1568579087.070610.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1568579016.275017.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1568579016.275017.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 32

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a slate one, but this sort of ugly porphyry one showed up at a local consignment auction, and followed me home. I'm in Ohio, but I have no idea of provenance for it.

lizard.jpg

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I don't have a slate one, but this sort of ugly porphyry one showed up at a local consignment auction, and followed me home. I'm in Ohio, but I have no idea of provenance for it.

View attachment 1753227

What does it look like when wet? I wipe my porphyry items with a little mineral oil and it makes the material about 100x prettier. I don’t doubt that the ancients used a little bees wax or bear grease to do the same.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does it look like when wet? I wipe my porphyry items with a little mineral oil and it makes the material about 100x prettier. I don’t doubt that the ancients used a little bees wax or bear grease to do the same.

Are you kidding me!! I had no idea.

Lizard-1.jpg lizard-2.jpg lizard-3.jpg

I wondered why they would use such a bland boring color porphyery.

I also have a bird with missing beak out of the same stuff.

Bird-1.jpg

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Are you kidding me!! I had no idea.

View attachment 1753240 View attachment 1753241 View attachment 1753243

I wondered why they would use such a bland boring color porphyery.

I also have a bird with missing beak out of the same stuff.

View attachment 1753249

Yup, that’s the difference... Field grade to top shelf.

A tiny, tiny drop of mineral oil rubbed in with your hands will keep it that way for weeks. A lot of old time collectors also used butter, that lasts longer but eventually leaves a bit of gummy residue.

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
On the lizard, those white spots (phenocrysts) on the tip of the nose and tip of the tail show that it isn’t dinged, it was made to maximize the rare material. Awesome relic!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread