✅ SOLVED Slave item?

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I do not have scale. About the size of a silver dollar. Can anyone please identify this medal or pendant? Found in north Alabama. Plain back. Appears to be brass.

17917A81-0B4E-4371-A1FD-9D69B94B7CC2.jpeg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming it’s not a reproduction, that’s a rare item. This from Cowan’s auction house:

“This medal was worn by ex-slaves who joined this Association attempting to obtain reparations in the late 19th century. It is a two piece medal with a simple top bar below from which hangs a crescent moon and star on which are printed: "National Ex-Slave Mutual Relief Bounty & Pension Ass'n of the U.S.A." This sophisticated group is reported to have been organized by I. H. Dickerson in 1897 in Nashville, TN. Dickerson stated that the objective of the group was to unite all the ex-slaves and their friends in petitioning Congress to pass the Mason Bill, which would provide Federal assistance to ex-slaves. Callie D. House became the secretary of the association, and ultimately took it over when Dickerson died. This association chartered several groups and sponsored agents throughout the South, and held annual conventions. By the end of World War I, the movement, for the most part, had come to an end. The realization that Congress had no desire to provide pensions also settled in among the ex-slave generation. What remained were broken dreams, lost money, a few rare badges such as the one offered here, and a small amount of Federal Records that help tell the story.”

National Ex-Slave.jpg

It had a pre-sale estimate of $2,000 - $3,000 and went for a hammer price of $1,495, including buyer’s premium. An incomplete one would of course have a much lower value.

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I just saw an episode of, "Who Do you Think You Are" where a celebrity's ggrandfather created an instance group to pay x slaves and take care of them.

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you dig this relic ? it sure is nice .I'd be real happy to find one of those.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was actually found on the surface collecting arrowheads

Upvote 0

A2coins