SlideShow: NYC Metal Detecting Rights Rally Today

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Oh...because i agreed with Spartacus and not you i "must be his buddy"? and ignored me too for stating something not of your liking. Wow!
Whatever. I don't hold grudges. Welcome to Tnet. :)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Baby steps...learn from your experience.

I applaud your determination and I have to admit, this is the first detector rally of any kind I've seen in my detecting past. I hope your meeting with the parks department are fruitful.

More people would definately been a statement. I don't know what you did to get the word out...maybe most just didn't hear it. I only heard about it on tnet a week before it and live kinda far to get myself organized to travel on that short of notice.

Thanks for speaking out.

Al

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal, you're right... Baby steps were needed for this event. This is the first I saw of the event, and of course it was posted on the same day of the event. I think Terry did an excellent job on reporting on the rally, and also providing a follow-up news article.

I had taken heat from a few on my opinions, but they are entitled to theirs as well. I'm not sure how, or when, word of this event was sent, and by what method either. :dontknow:

I am sure the next time something is planned, they will bring it to the forefront sooner. Then again, I like playing Monday night quarterback too. :tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
These demonstrations always work better after a good old fashioned "assassination"!
Spartacus is originally from the Bronx, he should know a few good "trigger men" looking for easy work. Just give us the date and someone to point out TreasureHippo...and we'll sort it! ;D

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RAID ON CENTRAL PARK...

So, here is how I see the next raid, err.. uh, rally in Central Park!

Barnum will handle communications;
Spartacus, you're on the minigun;
FmrUSMC will be on top of the Essex Hotel with the 50-cal providing air cover;
DingDong will take our Six;
TreasureHippo, you're on Point;
Dano, you and me, Deepskyal and Smudge, will do the deed in the Arsenal Building and set the charges... I mean deliver the "petitions."
We will then egress the area by helicopter, flown by Extractor, and guided onto the Great Lawn by Woodland Detectors!

:headbang: :thumbsup:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
Hmmm...that plan has too much of a "Guy Fawkes" scenario. USMC love being in the thick of the action...i'll swap and take the .50cal please! :icon_thumright:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureHippo, I guess so. It seems like you make friends real fast.. Oh I forgot, you can't read this, you have me on ignore :laughing9: Point is usually reserved for those that won't be missed :tongue3:

Terry, just let us know how the meeting with the parks department goes. I am not really in the mood to go into Manhattan and straighten that punk out :laughing7: The one thing Manhattan fears is people from the Bronx, and or Brooklyn :help:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:o :help: :dontknow: Well, now we all know why it is so darn difficult to get 20 or 30 metal detectorists together in one place at one time.. We hate each other! :notworthy: :laughing7:

:icon_scratch: I think I may even hate myself :'( I mean, I thought I was a tough hombre :icon_pirat: two- ex wives and all ::) but after this thread :o I'm a girlyman at best! :hello:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
do not mock or belittle those who stand for freedom and rights * -- even though their numbers be small now -- their hearts and minds are strong * -- one strong man(or woman) with a good mind can lead many "followers" -- many may feel the same but lack the courage to stand up to injustice until they see a "leader" do so -- maybe then they will be "inspried" to do something as well -- better to light even a small single candle than to just sit cursing in the darkness--and if enough folks light their little candles --the darkness will fade away.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: You do have a good point there Terry. :laughing9:

It looks like you have performed many noble deeds there TreasureHippo, so kudos to you. As far as everything else goes, do as you please, and go where you want to. I don't think anyone will beg to have you remain. Heck, if I leave there will certainly be a party, but I don't see that happening in the near future. :laughing7:

Hit book? I really don't know of any hit, or best selling book about metal detecting clubs. In a paperback edition too, interesting... I once handed out pamphlets and they were all the rage for the day :laughing7: I have also written 1,000's of posts, but still no Pulitzer :laughing7:

Let me talk about the programs I have developed, and the laws I helped to repeal. I noticed that you started in 75, well I have come on the scene only recently and believe I have made a greater mark, saved more lives and in general, left a great overall impact throughout the nation, in a shorter period of time. So perhaps we should compare lists, and we can see the efforts "apples to apples." Oh, wait..
Actually I have never done anything for the hobby, I must have gotten myself confused with someone else. :laughing9:

You just need to lighten up a bit and not jump ship if you think the waters are rough. It looks like you like to jump in a debate, fire off a lines and extract yourself ASAP :tongue3: I guess I'll have to visit other treasure forums and see your posts, comment accordingly, and disappear into the wind too :laughing7:

After this post, I too, will be going home and I'll take my bat and ball with me :headbang:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you do not have to like everybody --but you still have to " play nice" with one another-- I learned that in grade school

ivan's rule # 1 --all people cause happiness -- some by arriving (group A) , others by leaving (group B)-- think carefully which group do you think most folks feel you fit into ?

there is also ivan's rule #2 --some folks ( about 10% of the population at large it seems) are quite simply --Jerks and A holes --to NOT be liked by them , is a good thing --so it's ok if "everyone" doesn't like you.

ivan's rule #3--- if "everyone" likes you most likely your a person thats easily "used' by others to get what they want , "door mats" are often "highly popular" folks --since everyone seems like folks that can be used to suit their purpose or that give stuff up to others -- however if one can not be easily used or taken advantage of by others -- often they are thought of as a "pain" in the butt by some folks because they will not allow others to screw em.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, you had one wild post here.. Count was up one day, then down the next. Then it went up again, only to fall once again for the last time :laughing7:

You had have titled it NYC Roller Coaster Metal Detecting Rights Rally.. It just rolls off the tongue :tongue3:

All in all, I hope it gets the attention and support you need. :thumbsup:

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this a little while back when Dick posted it on Facebook. I would have loved to joined you guys but my "pos" car wouldn't like that drive. Maybe if there's one in MA.

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This posting would have never gotten to this point, but for the following comment....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No offense, but not a great job in organizing a rally. I've seen kids lemonade stands draw more attention. If you don't have a large turnout it's not a rally, this wouldn't even rate as a tea social.

Don't get me wrong, great idea, but very poor planning in getting the word out there. What is even sadder, small gatherings like this, get you on the "pay me no mind list."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but this was uncalled for and very condescending.... Great indication of why we are where we are
in this pastime. Pathetic!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barnum, all do respect, you call a 5/6 man task force and a slightly higher non task force show a success :icon_scratch: It's also apparent you have no sense of humor.

All in all, exactly what news coverage did this rally garner. :dontknow: June 1st was a slow news day in NYC, so you think they may have gotten a little more attention. If you want to argue that a well placed lemonade stand wouldn't get more attention, you would be on the losing end of a bet.

Again; with no thought out, or formulated plan, just what attention did the rally draw? They could have always stopped by the parks building later. Better yet, they could have called ahead so you were at least to be expected. Heck, the parks department might have even called the police not knowing how many people would show up. I think the best way to get noticed is, "Go where the people are" :headbang: I can only assume that you are not from NYC, so I really don't think you have a grasp on how things are done here.

http://www.youtube.com/v/CVC2vyVCWJI?version=3

And yes, thankfully my post got way more attention than the task forces stroll in the park did. From what I was able to see there were only 2 that disagreed with my presentation. The first was you, and then someone who joined just to ignore me.. Boo Hoo, I don't cave in when someone directs a comment at me.

This is a forum, not everyone will share your viewpoint, or mine. This is an area to discuss, debate your topics. Never once did I say this was not a good cause, but I did say in several ways how poorly the rally was conducted. If you still want to argue how much attention this rally got from passerby's I'm still around ;D

Many times I just find myself saying what many people think, but don't say. If pointing out the obvious is condescending, then, guilty as charged :laughing7:

Lighten up, or you may have a stroke.....

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spartacus, I am 70 years old, and I don't appreciate your comments about telling me to lighten up. Another example of your condescending attitude. You apparently put yourself above others here, and that
you seemingly have all the better answers to the problems we face.

You also apparently need to be the authority on all things related to metal detecting, so have at it. You personally disgust me, and yes I know you don't give a damn, but I don't either. Have fun...I am outta here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread