Slight Deception and Fraud on Ebay When Buying Silver

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you noticed all those ads where they're selling an ounce of silver coins, or a pound of silver coins? And you notice how well they're doing.

So in the rush people buy thinking they're getting full weight of silver, and the bid pricing reflects that. The hysterical masses desperately prepping for harsher financial times....

And they are not even listed as Troy metrics....

Much less in the ASW....

There was one recently selling scrap silver, and another buyer called him on it. His defense? Oh, I'm an honest seller!

But, people don't notice the differences, or they don't know them....

I'm learning plenty tricks lurking there... The weight thing, I already knew. I personally like where they mix up junk in with a couple good items to run up the bids...

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I missed your main point, and if so, my apologies. But unless they are saying these coins or scrap lots are pure .999 silver, then I don't think there is any fraud. They only need to say what is for auction, they are not selling pure silver, they are selling silver coins. If a buyer does not know that it will only be 90% silver, then maybe they should not be buying silver. Same with jewelry, if I see a lot of 4 ounces scrap sterling, I know its only 92.5% give or take depending on the pieces.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I missed your main point, and if so, my apologies. But unless they are saying these coins or scrap lots are pure .999 silver, then I don't think there is any fraud. They only need to say what is for auction, they are not selling pure silver, they are selling silver coins. If a buyer does not know that it will only be 90% silver, then maybe they should not be buying silver. Same with jewelry, if I see a lot of 4 ounces scrap sterling, I know its only 92.5% give or take depending on the pieces.

No, for me it's the weight thing = ounces vs troy ounces = 28 grams vs 31.103 grams. Only a little, but it creates a misrepresentation.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, Yeah, I can see the issue in that sense. But a buyer who is buying commodities, no matter big or small, should be educated enough to see that.

That being said, I do agree-- they are more than likely trying to be sneaky and get the people who didn't read the auction right or just do not know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread