Slow start to my 4 Day Silver Spree with a goal of 20 oz.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Not much in the way of loose change out there right now for me. Pulled $500 out of the ATM and was only able to pick up $375 worth of CWR dimes. $100 rolled and $275 in bags.

This is the first time the bags didnt pay off. I have been averaging 1.5 dimes per $250 searched from this particular bank, I got skunked. So I headed off to another bank, one that rolls its dimes from customer drop offs into the coin machine. First roll opened netted me a 54 Rosie. Skunked after that. It kept my yearly average at 1:96 rolls. Pretty sad compared to last month, which was 1:29.

Tomorrow I should have 4 boxes of Brinks Halves waiting for me in town.

Wednesday I have a small road trip. 4 pick up banks to hit, 4 dumps to hit in one town. Total of 4 halves, 4 dimes, 2 quarters and 4 nickels. Then I will likely head west towards KC and try my luck in a loop back home. There are about 30 banks in that loop so I will rush to hit them all.

Thursday or Friday, depending on energy level and weather I have another bank route to hit. 27 banks in 156 miles. One I should be able to pick up $500+ in CWR dimes.

One day will be go with the flow day, not sure where I will head yet.

My goal, break 20 ounces this week.

Will it be a reality? Doubtful but it cant hurt to try.

I only have $2,000 to play with so dumping and moving on is key. If I can get some car parts sold on Wednesday while I am CRH'ing, I might be able to up my play money by $500-$1000. It will make things easier.

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EE, I don't want to discourage you - but 20 oz. is setting the bar pretty high for a week !
I would be delighted to find that in a month . I guess if you have pick up and dump routes ,
that will support 20- 40 boxes in a week ,you might well achieve your goal . Argentium.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Argentium said:
EE, I don't want to discourage you - but 20 oz. is setting the bar pretty high for a week !
I would be delighted to find that in a month . I guess if you have pick up and dump routes ,
that will support 20- 40 boxes in a week ,you might well achieve your goal . Argentium.

I dont honestly expect it but hell, all I need is 4 magical boxes out of the 8 this week. I did 9 oz out of 2 magical boxes 2 weeks ago, maybe the streak will continue.

0.0723 down and 19.9277 to go.

Tomorrow I wont be leaving town but I am going to try to do some about $2500-$3000 worth of coin.

Wednesday I am going to be doing between $7500-$10000 worth of coin.

Thursday and Friday I hope to do $5000-$7500.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL!

Well, this aint happening unless of course the next 5 boxes of halves are straight magical or I come across someones collection dumped this week.

3 boxes in and skunked on all 3. I have one left but I am going to do it later on this afternoon. I am going to dump 2 boxes of halves and try to pick up a bag of quarters or something.

Hopefully tomorrow goes a lot better. At least I didnt have to leave town so no gas really wasted.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
$2000 in halves - Skunked
$410 in CW Dimes - Skunked.

Tomorrow I have at least $2000 in ordered halves, $1000 in dimes, $1000 in quarters and $200 in nickels to do. I will plow through those as fast as possible and continue on and do my Thursday or Friday route tomorrow. I will plan 2 more routes of Thursday and Friday if I have to.

So far, 0.0723 oz of 20 completed. Not going so well.

172 mile trip and 38 banks in tomorrows route. Hope it pays off.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, unless something magical happens over the next 2 days, I wont be seeing 5oz this week worth of road trip CRH.

4 boxes of halves, all skunked, I am not at 8 boxes in a row. I have 10 on order for next week.

Anyways, I have 2 boxes of dimes to finish up and 3 boxes of nickels before the night is over. Not all has been crappy but I will update again when I am done.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I still have 2 boxes and 20 rolls of Nickels to do but after a 10 hour days driving around in the car, CRH'ing, Dumping and going for more, my back is killing me.

First place I stopped, first roll I opened up netted me a Rosie. Start of what I thought would be a fantastic day. Then came 4 boxes of halves all skunks, unless you were after NIFC halves, which I am not. almost every roll of the 4th box, a String and Sons box, had 4+ NFIC halves.

IMAG0553.jpg

Well, after all that was done, my car was an absolute mess, it still is. It needs cleaned tomorrow before round 2 of 3 of road trip CRH.

IMAG0554.jpg

All in all, I spent $25 or so in gas, drove 180 miles, didnt get a whole lot to search because most banks would not sell to me because I am not a customer. I ended up with 3 rosies.

On the way home I hit a couple banks right before closing and grabbed some coin. Got $100 in CRW Dimes and $100 in Nickels, 32 rolls that were CWR's.

First thing I do when I get home is break into a roll of dimes, Crack it in half because its paper and the lone dime that falls out is silver, I smile. Poor the roll into my hand, another silver rosie and some Canadian dime, have not looked at it too good. Got 2 rolls with 2 silver each out of the 20 rolls, total 7 rosies. I am going to head back up that way tomorrow to hit another part of Kansas City and see if I can hit that bank up for more dimes tomorrow.

As for the nickels. Start going through the nickels. Pulled 2 War nickels. 43 P and 45 D and my first V Nickel!

IMAG0555.jpg

IMAG0556.jpg

I still have 120 rolls of nickels to go and a box of cents. Its likely going to have to wait until the weekend, give me something to do but I at least paid the gas in silver and then some.

Tomorrow is KC. Hopefully I can find some halves for sale. Found a total of 1 roll of lose halves in 20 banks.

Friday hopefully does me well.

Then its a wait for Tuesday's 4 brinks halves and Wednesdays 4 brinks halves and 2 string halves.

Todays take.

12 Rosies
2 War Nickels
1 V Nickel
1 Canadian dime of some sort
1 Asian coin
1 2003 C-Cheese token.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
conleytheking said:
Great job!
I'm sure you'll hit 20oz in a week, and you wont even notice!
great v nickel!

I was hoping on a continuation of that great 7oz box I had, boy talk about a complete 180 lol.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
well you did good with the dimes and nickels today - good luck the rest of the week.

I had bad luck with my two half boxes today also - both skunks - well better luck tomorrow I hope - for both of us.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
SilverFace said:
well you did good with the dimes and nickels today - good luck the rest of the week.

I had bad luck with my two half boxes today also - both skunks - well better luck tomorrow I hope - for both of us.

Yep, good luck, I know I am going to need it.

I am going to be doing the city tomorrow and than the country on Friday. Gonna mix things up a little.

I am telling ya, if these dont pay out, I am going to be done doing random trips and instead call banks the day before and then route them to hit them.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
So, as of the start of today, I was sitting at a weeks total of....

13 Rosies
2 War nickels
1 V nickel
1 5 Pence
1 2003 C-Cheese Token

1.0525 oz out of 20 oz, 18.9475 to go.

I went out hoping for the best, headed back out to Kansas City, taking a different route than I went before.

Bank 1: Grabbed only 6 rolls of CW Dimes
Bank 2: Grabbed 20 rolls of CW Dimes
Bank 3: Grabbed 1 String Half and 10 CW Halves: Skunked on the String 2x68 and 1x70 Half
Bank 4: Grabbed 11 rolls of CW Halves, which the amazing Jenn was more than happy to give to me, I also grabbed 25 rolls of CW Dimes.
Bank 5: Grabbed 11 rolls of CW Halves, 65 Kennedy.
Bank 6: Grabbed 2 rolls worth of loose halves, Skunked
Bank 7: Grabbed 10 CW Dimes
Bank 8: Grabbed 30 rolls of Brinks Dimes
Bank 9: Grabbed 10 rolls of Dunbar Dimes

I decided to hold the dimes for lunch and do them while I ate and relaxed a bit outside of a dump bank. I eat my food, listening to the radio while I unwrap the dimes.

First I do the Dunbar dimes from Bank 9, Skunked
Then I do the dimes from Bank 7, Skunked
I do the dimes from Bank 2, nets me a single 54 FDR
I do the dimes from Bank 1 and get skunked
I do the 5 of the dimes from bank 8, they are brinks, find nothing, keep the rest in the plastic wrap and continue on to do bank4.

I do 23 of the 25 rolls of bank 4, I get up to this faded green wrapper, it looks rather worn, I open on end, and tip it without looking in, out pops a single Mercury Dime. I think, WTF, awesome! Then I ponder, wonder whats next, a couple pumps of the roll and out comes 49 of Mrs Mercs friends. A solid Merc Roll! I get rather giddy.

IMAG0559.jpg

I put them back in the roll, go dump all my coin and decided to end my day there in the middle of KC. I rush to another bank after dumping, grab a box of brinks dimes and quarters and leave them sealed. I go back to bank 4, driving 35 miles back, walk in and the amazing Jenn says hi and remembers my name ( my second time in there and if only I were 10-15 years younger :D ) and asks what am I doing back. I let her know that I found some nice coins for my collection in the roll and if they had any more in that color. She said yes they did. I asked if I could possibly buy more and she said that should not be a problem but they are kind of low so not many. I mentioned I had an unopened box of Brinks Dimes and Quarters and if I could exchange for CWR's? She said sure. So I traded $385 Brinks rolls for $385 in CW Dimes, about 5-10 in the same types of rolls but not as worn. I also traded $300 of Brinks Quarters for CW Quarters.

I also managed to grab 11 clad Ike's.

I have not done the rolls yet, will be starting that shortly but here is a picture of the 1970 Kennedy

IMAG0560.jpg

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I still have another 25-30 rolls to go in the dimes....

IMAG0562.jpg

but this is what I have hit so far.

IMAG0561.jpg

And I have not touched the quarters yet!

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the Quarters were a skunk.

This weeks tally is

16 Rosies
200 Merc's
2 War nickels
1 V nickel
1 5 Pence
2 Canadian dimes
1 2003 C-Cheese Token

Total is now 16.3210 oz out of 20 oz. Only 3.679 oz to go!

Seems all my pulls come out of smaller towns on the way to the city. the second I moved towards Kansas City, the skunks happened. Might be more banks but they seem to be less quality.

Tomorrow I am headed NE and East. I am going to hit some small, old towns and grab all the CRW's they have. I think its entirely possibly to get my 20 oz week after all, I am so damned surprised as I never expected a single roll of Mercs let alone 4.

I've got 2 boxes of nickels and 1 box of cents still to do but really dont have the energy. 1 more day on the road! lol.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
:headbang: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Outstanding! Send some my way! GREAT job!!
I have found well over 500 40% halves and never found a 1970
But once again....amazing merc find....wow!

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
conleytheking said:
:headbang: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Outstanding! Send some my way! GREAT job!!
I have found well over 500 40% halves and never found a 1970
But once again....amazing merc find....wow!

I never expected a 1970-S but again, I am not expecting any of what has been happening. This has been simply phenomenal. What I may end up doing is sometime next week, swinging back by that bank with another brick of dimes and a brick of crispy creme doughnuts to get more CRW's and show my thanks while maybe crossing the state line and hitting some banks in Kansas and its smaller towns or maybe hit that bank, show my thanks and then head south down the MO/KS state line. I will have to map things out.

Dont know how well I am going to be able to sleep tonight. You should have heard me laugh at rolls 2 and 3, I bet it sounded like my diabolical plan had unfurled. By the 4th roll I had regained my composure.

I made a list of the Mercs, have not checked it yet on a price guide but doesnt appear any key dates or anything were in the mix.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep an eye out for 1916D, they are made of steel and are worthless. On second thought, just sent it to me if you find one :laughing7:

In all seriousness, awesome haul. Beats out my 6.23 OZ so far this week.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
namster said:
Just keep an eye out for 1916D, they are made of steel and are worthless. On second thought, just sent it to me if you find one :laughing7:

In all seriousness, awesome haul. Beats out my 6.23 OZ so far this week.

All I could think about was 1916 D when I was searching the Dimes. I did get a 1916 and I turned it around slowly hoping for a payday but there was none, it was just a 1916.

One more day... on more day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread