Slowsweep speed

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Whites v3i can it be set up for a very slow sweep speed. I am an older guy and I don't like to move to fast. I carry along a canvas stool to set on when I do a dig and I like to take my time at this hobby and not swing to fast. Does a slow sweep speed have any effect good or bad on location targets. I see some people that just swing swing swing as they walk I don!t know how they ever hit on anything.. I need my machine to allow me to sweep slow like me

L

l2hunt

slow and low is what they say, but i don't have your machine so not sure! somebody will pop on here and give you some advice! i usually do a somewhat moderate swing just because i hate to miss anything! HH

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Slow sweep speed

On the Whites v3i can it be set up for a very slow sweep speed. I am an older guy and I don't like to move to fast. I carry along a canvas stool to set on when I do a dig and I like to take my time at this hobby and not swing to fast. Does a slow sweep speed have any effect good or bad on location targets. I see some people that just swing swing swing as they walk I don!t know how they ever hit on anything.. I need my machine to allow me to sweep slow like me

Yes it can. The V3i uses Band Pass Filters which is located in the 6 item menu. Once your there, click on Discrimination. At the bottom, it will show you Ground Filters. To make a long story short, I would start at 10Hz which is the all around performing filter. If this is to high or fast for you, you can adjust it down to 7.5 Hz down to 5.0 Hz.

Good Luck,

TC-NM

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will keep all this in mind. I don't have the new detector yet! I am a couple months away from having the funds for it. But trying to get all the info I can on it before I buy.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phil,
Short answer is yes, you can slow the swing down to a comfortable rate.
Longer answer is - one of the methods the detector uses to distinguish a target from the minerals surrounding it is the rate of change in the magnetic field. If the rate of change is too gradual, the detector will not recognize it as a target. Imagine it as a motion detector in a room. If you move slowly enough, you can actually get from one side of the room to the other without setting off the motion detector.
My preferred method of hunting is to use mixed mode (which the V3i has). With this method, you don't even "swing" the coil. Simply move it back and forth. When it detects a target in "all metal", I then sweep the coil over that target a couple times to get a VDI in the "motion mode". Then decide whether I want to dig it or not.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phil,
Short answer is yes, you can slow the swing down to a comfortable rate.
Longer answer is - one of the methods the detector uses to distinguish a target from the minerals surrounding it is the rate of change in the magnetic field. If the rate of change is too gradual, the detector will not recognize it as a target. Imagine it as a motion detector in a room. If you move slowly enough, you can actually get from one side of the room to the other without setting off the motion detector.
My preferred method of hunting is to use mixed mode (which the V3i has). With this method, you don't even "swing" the coil. Simply move it back and forth. When it detects a target in "all metal", I then sweep the coil over that target a couple times to get a VDI in the "motion mode". Then decide whether I want to dig it or not.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you don't have to wear yourself out swinging it. That's great.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever heard of the monty nail board test?....you can youtube some machines and how they do ...that and recovery speed plays a big roll

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever heard of the monty nail board test?....you can youtube some machines and how they do ...that and recovery speed plays a big roll

No haven't heard of that. I will check it out. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread