Sluice box aeration or bubbles.

Goldbear

Apr 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Ok just playing at home with ripple effects and such. Watching Gold Fever and panning techniques they say the secret in panning is to get a lot of aeration in the slurry so the gold can fall easier.

So running water over a plastic design I grabbed (not intended for sluicing) it aerates like crazy! Litterally bubbles almost like foam down the end. Not having any manufactured plastic sluices handy I can't compare it, but does your Mackirk or others do this?

Since I can't make this design myself, (injection molded) it would have to be added in to another or a home built. ANYBODY can buy these literally for a couple bucks and I will share what it is and exactly where you can buy it if you share with me your sluicing experience in this thread with aeration and such. Am I on the right track? Or is this the rolling effect you don't want as it will carry the fine gold away?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldBear,
I sent you a PM. In my Keene A52 sluice box I have solid water all the time without bubbles. The riffles should be just under the water and so bubbles would tend to not go below the surface except if they were attached to a small flake of gold............63bkpkr

OP
OP
Goldbear

Goldbear

Apr 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Ahh - I understand, bubbles are bad as they can float flour gold away. The design I was trying would actually hold the air in each little pocket and not let the air fill the void. It is premolded honey comb started in plastic. ( I keep bees) .
Maybe if the air was removed by brushing after submerged it would give thousands of places for the fine gold to settle but be no different than a rug.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=560&idCategory=

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi G.B.,
How very interesting, I love it when someone has one of those Ah-Ha moments and finds a neat use for a product "unrelated" to the new end use.

Thank you for sharing and please continue to share your results.........63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air and bubbles are your absolute worst enemy.Thats why flared dredges,smash box header eliminated-flow curtains-on and on. There is only 1 use of air and it's in a floatation table for hardrock milled micro fines with pine resins and blah blah blah-- and dry application in a drywasher :read2: John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions