goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
All mine are home made and include a "Long Tom" style, a "Drop Riffle" style and a Highbanker style. Since I'm in the desert, all are set up to work with a re-circ water system.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got a bazooka gold trap a few weeks ago and have used it 2 times so far. It has gotten me 2-3 times the amount of gold I usually get because I don't have to classify anymore.

bazookagoldtrap.com

I've gotten 5 pickers with it in just the 2 times I went out. I can run a ton more material than I did on my A52 and the nice thing is I can do it by myself, I found it pretty hard to classify a 5 gallon bucket myself and it just wasn't fun. I got the heavy duty prospector model with the large grizzlies. I've heard the smaller models are really good too and are light and small enough to fit in a backpack. I'm planning on getting one of those eventually to use in places I have to hike in pretty far.

IMG_4395.JPG IMG_4314.JPG

Thats from the first 2 times out. I'm sure others will chime in how much they like the BGT.

Dig'em

Jan 24, 2015
Joshua Tree, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Other
I started with a homemade wood sluice with drop riffles but I noticed it started to warp quickly. I must of not sealed it well enough. I then purchased a Keene A52 because I like the idea of being able to add things and turn it into either a highbanker, recirc or power dredge. I built a snap on classifier that covers the first third or so of the sluice and added additional v matting at the start. I've probably doubled the amount of material I can run by not classifying and ditching buckets for a barrel sled. The Keene is a heavy sluice so if your packing things a far distance it sucks for that. I've heard good things about Le Trap and Angus sluices, light weight plastic good for packing in distances. The bazooka comes to mind also, constantly hearing praises about it. One con I see with the bazooka is that there is no way to see if your in the gold without a cleanout. Other sluices with v matting it's right there to see. Really a quiver of sluices is ideal, a good addiction doesn't allow you just one!

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Whites,Le trap,Gold Hogg sluice,bed rock tools
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like Le Trap with homemade classifier screen.I run it in fast water and shovel in as fast as I can.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Better to ask yourself some questions. What are your conditions? The Bazooka is great if you have ample water flow and can dig directly into it. If your area is small seasonal creeks maybe not so great.

Your price range matters too. DIY can get you running but if you are new you won't know what works or why. If you can get a brand name at least you'll know it works.

I used a small Keene for years. Got the bazooka last year. Really eats the dirt.

Get a pan that works well for you. I like the Keene.

Last edited:

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
have a A-52 but find it bulky for hiking in to remote locations. I added legs to it so I can put it in deeper water if needed, but I have seen better setups that are smaller and at least as efficient. I'd like to use it on a trommel build some day.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Used to own metal riffle sluices. Sold em. Still own a plastic drip riffle for occasional use (not in the last many months, should probably sell it!), actively using a Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector and Sniper. Getting 2-3x the gold is a solid argument for the Bazookas BUT they cost a lot more than a homemade drop riffle which will give you a great start. The thing is, for those who can afford it and can get out regularly, catching more gold WILL pay for top quality gear...no doubt!

Last edited:

Scooby903

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started myself! I grabbed a 24" Brawn sluice with the louvre riffles at Cabelas for $70 to begin with and had decent luck with it. Being straight and short, it was kind of a pain to set up and running material through it was slow to say the least. I ordered a 36" Bazooka Sniper and I'm very happy with it so far. Much easier to get situated in the creek and doesn't bottleneck the process at all. 10/10 would recommend.

Here is the Brawn:

20130712_113144%20-1-500x500.jpg

Here is the Bazooka:
home8.jpg

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saturday the road to the creek to drive my truck to, so I packed in and used my California Sluice Stream Sluice. Like the fact that it is light, and has fluid bed action. after 2 1/2 hours, I cleaned up and had about 10 little flecks of color. 0207151443-00.jpg
any kind of sluice from homemade to big company...i need ideas for my first sluice.....on a side note pans...i use the normal but im talking have you tried other pans

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Le Trap all time favorite but keene, proline whatever as not a big deal as long as prior classification is used. EZ to mount on sluice also so no screen shaking a going on. This is but 1 of a dozen. John

Attachments

• 100_3035.jpg
    100_3035.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 176

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screw classifying....run a Bazooka. If you want a good entry level sluice get a plastic drop riffle even with those you don't need to classify below 3/4 inch they do very well running bigger material. Since they don't have speed bumps(riffles) to hang up the material you want to run through quickly. IMG_0466 (800x570).jpg I went out for two and a half hours Saturday and an hour Sunday. Six partial buckets have to be careful they get heavy and the rock is slick!! Spent more time digging than I did running the sluice and wasted zero time classifying.....A great way to not worry if you see your gold in your sluice as a way to gauge your material is to ,wait for it...... SAMPLE........:tongue3:

OP
OP
S

Spike5887

Jul 22, 2013
South-West Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well being in Ohio in fact South Western Ohio i hear we only have flour gold so what would be good for that and around $100

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Angus, Le Trap and Bazookas....I have and use them all because it still comes down to stream conditions. Drop riffle for very low flows / Bazooka whenever possible.

OP
OP
S

Spike5887

Jul 22, 2013
South-West Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So for fine flour gold and being a first timer youd all basically recommend Le trap or AM i do like the price range of the AM...I'm honestly worried it being plastic but which models would you recommend for low water flow i mean i read the description of the models but what would you think would be best for me Model wise now preferably something i could back pack for quick set up and quick packing in the case of an emergency

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saturday when I went out, the road to the creek was too muddy to get my truck with my highbanker back there, so I took my California Sluice, stream sluice. It is similar to the two afore mentioned. I did not have a classifier with me, so I just shoveled directly into the sluice. At cleanup, there were only about 10 #50's or so, the 100 and200 minus that I catch with the Gold Hog mats were non existent. 0207151443-00.jpg
So for fine flour gold and being a first timer youd all basically recommend Le trap or AM i do like the price range of the AM...I'm honestly worried it being plastic but which models would you recommend for low water flow i mean i read the description of the models but what would you think would be best for me Model wise now preferably something i could back pack for quick set up and quick packing in the case of an emergency

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread