Sluicing for Herkimers

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone worked the Payson [Az] diamonds? They're also quartz and similar to Herkimers .

I have Rod. I don't think they are as attractive as the Herkimer quartz but that's all in the eye of the beholder.

There are thousands of locations with pretty quartz crystals. It is one of the most common stones on earth. Which ones you choose to dig are a matter of individual preference.

In Arizona you might find the Burro creek deposits interesting, Citrine and Amethyst varieties are found there as well as phantoms and scepter forms.

My favorite quartz crystal finds in Arizona are the triple included crystals found at Childs Hot Springs.

Heavy Pans

dawnhvr

Sep 5, 2013
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442336677.814937.jpg is this one?

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herkimer's in the soil are interesting, but not a money maker. You want to get into the rock, and find the pocket layer. I've done a bit of collecting at a couple of the fee mines in the area, and love it. Get into a big pocket and it's about as fun as mineral collecting can get. And a really good specimen can go for $500 or more. But it's very, very common stuff; the average mineral collector won't pay big money. Luckily, the crystal power freaks are ignorant enough to pay any price for any shiny rock, and their money is still flowing. Downside is that the rock is silicified and incredibly tough, but on private land you can use power tools, yay! Just do not start using dynamite, you'll very quickly ruin everything, crystals do not like the vibrations produced by wanton use of high explosives. This is something you could conceivably make a living from, if you're up to the hard work, and the jumping through hoops for permitting a quarry, building a campsite, etc. Ten bucks a day to collect, thirty a night to camp, surely there's a living to be made. I expect to be in the area this spring. If you find ledgerock and want a consult from somebody that has been collecting minerals for decades, and dealing, let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread