Sluicing Question

G

geno

A sluice must be used with running water ( either a creek or in a recirculating mode using a bilge pump)... its also necessary that the material you feed be wetted... otherwise it will just float on thru.
geno

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pre classify your gravels to 1/2 " DRY if possible,less weight and much faster too. Your sluice(all brands)will work much faster and at the end of the day run the 1/2"+ for any monster lunkers that may appear. Don't run apples and oranges together or you lose your specific gravity edge and your recovery fails miserably.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

G

geno

Lots of Water is necessary!.. good advice on the classfying Hoser...thanks...

I have a 40 gallon barrel cut in half... each filled with water.. Sluice empties into barrel A .... overflow pipe from A goes to barrel B....pump from "B" to the sluice... (the reason for the two separate halves is to cut down on the dirty water going thru the pump. When the dirty water goes into barrel A it gives the sediment time to settle and not get back into the pump)

geno

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
1" of drop for 1' of sluice, stream run should be 1/2 depth of the sluice.

You might want to check Gold Fever out on Outdoor Network. I think a recent episode has Tom showing how to set your sluice up correctly.. I have it on my DVR, he is in AK walking through a setup. I think you can purchase it from the GPAA I don't remember the episode ##. I will see if I can find it.

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Boy,

PM me, I have CDVD I bought off ebay that goes through the "process" of sluicing. I can let it go for $10.00.

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
i have sort of a sluicing problem .. there is not much elevation or steps in the area that i work so how do i get the 1" to 1' rule .. the bottom is all the way submerged ?

damning up the creek is really not an option . has you ever had this kind of issue.

thanks Axgar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread