Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting for about 45 minutes this morning by a local lake and this is my only decent find for the day. After the initial dirt was rinsed off I did 4, 5 minute electrolysis soaks and scrubbed it in between to get it to this condition. I tried to get a photo of all the sides so you can see the design. I'm hoping that someone who knows more about bells than I do can help put a date on it. I'm also interested to know what it may have been used for?? I put the penny in for size reference. The height is 1 1/2".

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• bell1.1.jpg
    bell1.1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 803
  • bell4.jpg
    bell4.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 795
  • bell2.jpg
    bell2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 797
  • bell3.jpg
    bell3.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 790
  • bell8.jpg
    bell8.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 795
  • bell9.jpg
    bell9.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 791
  • bell6.jpg
    bell6.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 794
  • bell7.jpg
    bell7.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 798
  • bell10.jpg
    bell10.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 792
Upvote 0

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen a bell very, very similar to that one, the same size, with similar markings....it is hanging on my bike. It was given to me by a friend who also rides and it is called a "Spirit" bell. It is supposed to repel bad "road spirits" (the kind that cause flat tires and crashes) as they cannot stand the ringing noise (or some such). Mine was made in India and was pretty crude (file marks, etc.) until I did some polishing on it. Can you tell if it is brass?

Can't say for sure that yours would be the same, but, it sure looks familiar.

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
That's a very nice bell u have there!! And it seems old!!
Keep going! :thumbsup:
HH//Swed

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your relic reminds me of a Bhuddist bell. Hare Krishna etc. Maybe a relic of the 1960's - 70's 8)

Mike

flip flop

Mar 3, 2010
East of West OhiO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Found by a lake ....... I have a friend that does a LOT of catfishing, he uses small bells like yours while night fishing. He casts out his line, props up his pole, and clips a bell to the last eyelet on the fishing pole. When the bell dings he has a bite.
I hope I'm wrong. Your bell looks way too cool for fishing.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps a croatal bell, the kind that a sheep would have on neck?

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know what kind of bell it is, But it's a nice find. I have a few bell's I've found, and they are very interesting. Congrats....

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plymouthian12 said:
very nice great job

Thanks.

Roland58 said:
I have seen a bell very, very similar to that one, the same size, with similar markings....it is hanging on my bike. It was given to me by a friend who also rides and it is called a "Spirit" bell. It is supposed to repel bad "road spirits" (the kind that cause flat tires and crashes) as they cannot stand the ringing noise (or some such). Mine was made in India and was pretty crude (file marks, etc.) until I did some polishing on it. Can you tell if it is brass?

Can't say for sure that yours would be the same, but, it sure looks familiar.

Interesting, I have owned items from India that seem to have similar markings such as file marks, etc. as you mentioned. This is a good guess. There are a couple really tiny spots on it that look as though a speck of brass is trying to poke through. I wanted to get some input before I tried cleaning it any further. Maybe I can test a little spot on the inside.

I have a friend in India so I will email him this thread today to get his thoughts on that theory.

Bedfordbob said:

That script certainly does look similar. I will print that out and do some comparisons. Thanks for the link!

The Swed Hunther said:
That's a very nice bell u have there!! And it seems old!!
Keep going! :thumbsup:
HH//Swed

Thank You.. I think it’s fairly old as well. Hopefully we can date it soon.

trikikiwi said:
Your relic reminds me of a Bhuddist bell. Hare Krishna etc. Maybe a relic of the 1960's - 70's 8)

Mike

Another interesting theory. I will look into a few Buddhist bells today. Thanks for the input!

flip flop said:
Found by a lake ....... I have a friend that does a LOT of catfishing, he uses small bells like yours while night fishing. He casts out his line, props up his pole, and clips a bell to the last eyelet on the fishing pole. When the bell dings he has a bite.
I hope I'm wrong. Your bell looks way too cool for fishing.

Well, being the avid catfisher that I am, I know exactly what bells you speak of. The size is about right but based on the weight, design and construction I’d have to rule out this theory. Fishing bells are generally much lighter, cheaper. (you don’t want the bell to bend the end of your pole when it’s attached) Also, there’s generally a clip or hook built right onto the bell itself. That’s my take on it anyway..

Thanks for the comment!

Gilligan said:
Perhaps a croatal bell, the kind that a sheep would have on neck?

The first thing I looked up when I got home was crotal bell but all of the photos I found were round and enclosed. Do you have a pic of a crotal bell similar shape to this bell?

There was a farm very near by in the 1800’s so this is a good thought. I’ve never dealt with crotal bells before but I wonder about the design. Did crotal bells have etching or script on them similar to this? I’m at a loss on that one.

Old River said:
I don't know what kind of bell it is, But it's a nice find. I have a few bell's I've found, and they are very interesting. Congrats....

Thanks, it was fun to unearth. I’ve only found one other bell and it was totally flat 

Treasure $ Trekkies said:
Made in China ;D?

Say it aint so! ;0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat bell :icon_thumright: MR TUFF

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe not a bell, but a candle snuffer? I've found a couple similar, and they are round on the inside where the "clanger" would attach. Just my guess.

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Before eletricity they had mail boats that had bells on them. The mail boat would pull up to your dock and ring a bell that he had or that you had haning around the dock. Most docks were away from the homes for two reasons. Privacy and noise . docks were a place to exchange commerce . Just a thought

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know but very cool! :icon_thumleft:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lucas said:
Made in India. 20th c.

I'm definitely in your corner, Lucas. I still think it is a "Spirit" bell....the right size and shape. There have been a gazillion of them sent to the U.S. since 1980 or so and more than half of those are hanging underneath a lot of big bikes. More often than not, tied on with a small piece of leather that will dry out and rot allowing the bell to go its' own way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions