glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is something I actually found 20 plus years ago and have never been able to figure out what it is .It was laying on the bottom of a small stream and it still amazes me that I even saw it because the color is some much like the mud on the stream bottom .It is about two inches tall and the opening is about the size of a quarter .And there is a small handle with a hole in it .Any help would be great . 007.JPG 010.JPG 008.JPG

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet piece, whatever it is!

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found it I worked for a prominent pottery company that had been in business for over 150 years .I ask several people that worked in the Design department what they thought it might be . No one really had any answer other than it was old .At one point I thought it might be a one time home made type of thing but the more I looked at it I think it was something that not just a kid's project or something like that

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
He glass I have found these in the privies I dig. Found several over the years. I think they are items for a doll house set. Since I’ve found small cups and plates with them. But I’m not 100% positive. Jgas.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a bird feeder from an old bird cage ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522242631.777210.jpg . ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522242643.969058.jpg

Last edited:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Aha. I’ve heard that before too. Good call Goldenplug. Jgas.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldenplug I had to look a second time at the pictures you posted .It sure looks like you are right .I never would have thought about something like a bird cage feeder Thanks for responding to my original post

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldenplug I had to look a second time at the pictures you posted .It sure looks like you are right .I never would have thought about something like a bird cage feeder Thanks for responding to my original post

Glad I could help solve a long mystery!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug one in Albany Georgia several years ago at a bottle dump and thought it was a measuring device used in a kitchen. A bird cage feeder never crossed my mind. Interesting.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug one of these as well, but my research directed me to a "coal miners canary cup."Same purpose as Goldenplug stated for a bird cage but the coal miner connection may tell more of a story. Was there coal mines in the area you found it? If so, then you have a even cooler find because of the history of what early coal miners went through.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Villagenut Thanks for your input .There were not any coal mines but there where some iron ore mines nearby .Some where surface mines and some where underground mines .Also some old maps show either shale or slate mines .But I think they where surface mines .But those places where the place where the product was sold .So it could be a business owner had a cage set up in his place of business . .Either way it is a historical item that has survived for many years And I was lucky enough to spot it laying underwater and retrieve it .Many would think it is junk .But I always thought it was a nice find .Again thanks for your post

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread