Small cache 332 dimes and 1 Indian Head cent...pics

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
Hello all,

Just wanted to share my story of few week-ends ago.

My grandparents moved to Arizona about 25years ago.(I was already living here with my family)
They bought an older home with a little over an acre of land.

A few years ago my grandfather while in his orchard, found 7 old matchbox cars, wrapped in
"military grade plastic"-his words not mine-(He was a gunner Air Force)
This was buried about 5-8 inches down under a orange tree.

He showed us all and we thought it was neat. He said it was probably some kids that lived here
in the past so we never thought anything of it. :icon_scratch:

Well I thought about it all the time. Why would kids wrap the cars to bury them? There had to
be more things buried out there.

Bringing things to present day-- I now have a detector(MD) and ask them if I can go to town on
their property. Of course they say "yes"

I spent about 2-3 weeks looking at old maps and images of their property and noticed the wood
shed that is an area right in-front of the orchard gate, was built in the early 50's.
My gradfather uses this shed for a few fruit pickers and shears and thats about it.
The shed is about 5 ft long - 7 ft high and 4 ft wide. It has one shelf built in about 2 1/2 ft up
that wraps the whole inside. There is no floor to the structure it is just ground.

This shed is were I had to look--I took out his tools and used my detector and it starting ringing
like a bell "OK that was easy" is what I am thinking as I set my detector down and start digging
up the floor of the shed....WRONG. The dirt is like digging into stone and once I did get down
to about 2 inches...what, there was a layer of cement. I exposed all of the cement and it was a
little slab maybe 2x1 ft and not done very well. I took a small hand axe and chipped the corner
of the slab and I broke off fairly easily. I spent the rest of the day chipping away till it was all
gone--took me 4 hrs to this point.

Lets just say the rest was fun.....
About 3-4 inches under the slab was a metal container(5x3 inches) wrapped in the same
"military type plastic" that my Grandfather had found the cars in. Unwrapped the plastic and
opened the container and there was a lot of silver looking at me! :o

There are 330 merc dimes all dated between 1930-1945 (only 1 1931s)
There were 2 1908 Barber's in there.
And the strangest part of all is that near the bottom of the container there was 1 Indian Head
cent and the date is 1909s.

Well this was the best day of findings for me.... ever! ;D

I will be going over their whole yard (in time) but for the past weeks it has been raining so time
will tell I hope this was just someones dime stash---now to find the rest! :icon_pirat:

Take Care,

Cachefinder-

!!!_)index_1.jpg

OP
OP
Cachefinder

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
scrounger

Thanks

The cement took about 3hrs, took almost an hour to clear off the little slab.

packerbacker

Thank you

I knew something had to be down there and Grandfather didnt care ....so dig I did.

Cachefinder-

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Your 1909-s indian is the second most valuable of the set. Look
up prices for a very pleasant surprise. Much more valuable than
a 1931-s dime. siegfried schlagrule

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Here I have resized them for ya. nice find.

Cheers Sasnz

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 733
  • index 2.jpg
    index 2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 733
  • index 3.jpg
    index 3.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 714
  • index 4.jpg
    index 4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 722

RNELSON

Oct 7, 2008
congrats on the awesome find..it was well worth the effort you put into the hunt..that is a find that is only dreamed of...

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG OMG...That's so cool. You gotta wonder how many more things like this are buried all over this great country of ours ;D

Thanks for resizing the pictures. I have a 24 inch iMac monitor and I still couldn't see the whole photo at one time. Ha.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cachefinder, I must say, you certainly live up to your name ;D
Truly a rewarding find after all the hard digging. . . and rightfully deserved.

Take care and go find that next one :wink:
watercolor

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cachefinder:

Nicely done!

I would suggest you do a thorough house search. Pull out any drawers in "built-ins" and examine the backs and bottoms for taped or tacked envelopes. Check the bottom areas under the lowest drawer.

Any carpets? We bought a home from the family of a gentleman who had lived there for 50 or so years and my wife found a stack of credit cards under the rug in the closet. His son (who lived next door) was glad to have them.

I would check the ground around that shed, as well.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

sodiumrye

Dec 27, 2008
NW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Still swinging my old Garrett master hunter ADS2
:o :o :o :o :o
If I find one mercury everytime I go out I feel it was a GREAT day, I have no idea how I would react to finding these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I found 300 of them would that mean I could only hunt 65 more times to have a GREAT year????? :tard:
That is a awesome find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cachefinder

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
Thank you all for the replies

Old Bookaroo

I will go over everything on that acre on property(outside)

as far as going inside to search I will have to see--My grandparents are very private and I
dont know if they want me(or will let me) go through the inside --trust me I want too.
I thought that seeing all the dimes they would get excited but all they said was
"Ohhh good for you, you found some old dimes"

Like I said time will tell (this house is paid for so it is going to my mom when they pass)

Cachefinder-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread