SMALL COIL ADVICE

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have read many debates on a good middle priced detector and decided to get an AT Pro. Now the discussion goes to which smaller coil to get. I have read a good bit about the Garrett 5X8 and the Nel Snake. The consensus seems to be that the 5X8 is good. A lot of folks also like Nel products and especially the Snake. That one is extremely small and I am wondering if it is maybe too small. I am largely a coin shooter right now, but love history and would like something that can work searching for a variety of targets. I had permission recently to search 2 houses that were built in 1884. I found 2 mercs, 2 Wheaties (1917 and 1918), and quite a bit of aluminum siding clips/caps/etc. I know that these areas has been hit multiple times, but am surprised I didn't get anything more significant in the several times I have hit it. I'm looking for advice as to cut my losses on places like this or maybe try a smaller coil. Until my AT Pro comes in I am using my ACE 350. If you think a smaller coil is in order, what are your thoughts as to which one to get? Thanks for any advice. I have access to a 1600s house that has been hunted probably dozens of times in the past and I'm hoping to make a decision on what to do in the next couple of days...Brad

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont have any expierience with the nell.the 5x8 however has been on my machine for 6 months straight.cant imagine taking it off.some folks say that you cant hunt as much sq.footage with the 5x8...I respectfully disagree.its weight and balance allows a slightly quicker swing and the atp can handle it.also I find myself hunting longer before I tire,a good thing.I can do 5 hrs no problem.

The smaller coil has allowed me to rehunt some of the mining camps I had already worked pretty hard,target seperation and id accuracy has been very good and my results have shown me I did the right thing.My hunting buddy swings an atp with stock coil and it seems I am regularly out hunting him.he is now getting one too.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on how trashy the area is. I am a whites guy but the issues are the same. I have multiple machines, Whites coils and a Nel. The NEL hunter is good for a 9.5 Concentric replacement as it has better separation and still covers just as much ground. I also have the 4x6 which it tiny and does not cover much ground at all. So I figured I would probably never really use this little guy but hey, I was wrong. Just spent a few days in an old village (or where it was) from the turn of the 1900s. This was a logging/railroad village and when the original buildings were torn down, every nail was left in the ground. My point is, the 4x6 was needed to find anything other than the nails that were every 4-6" in every direction in places.

If you are not going to be hunting this type of trash, than a larger coil would do you best.. smaller than stock but not too much smaller.
It is all about separation and of course the narrower the DD the less depth.. I hit a quater at 6" with the 4x6 on the DFX cranked up all the way. The typical rule of thumb is you get a little more depth than the width of the coil depending on the ground and the machine. As far as the choice between the NEL and the 5x8, I have hear more good things about the 5x8 than NEL in general regardless of the machine the NEL was being put on, if that means anything.
Good luck and remember coils are like Potato Chips.. 2 is never enough!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What bigfoot1 and airscapes say x3.
Small coils on fast machines can surely be a bonus. Yet, you've mentioned the areas you hunt have been detected multiple times.
No site is hunted out, but if I know a site has been detected before, I initially detect with a stock/standard coil in hopes of removing remaining trash. I then return and "cherry-pick" with an 8"x5" sef coil. Then, if I deem site appropriate, I return with a big boy coil. An 18"x15" coil can acquire serious depth on clean ground.
Many choices...
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
R

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What bigfoot1 and airscapes say x3.
Small coils on fast machines can surely be a bonus. Yet, you've mentioned the areas you hunt have been detected multiple times.
No site is hunted out, but if I know a site has been detected before, I initially detect with a stock/standard coil in hopes of removing remaining trash. I then return and "cherry-pick" with an 8"x5" sef coil. Then, if I deem site appropriate, I return with a big boy coil. An 18"x15" coil can acquire serious depth on clean ground.
Many choices...
GL
Peace ✌

That makes good sense to me. Thanks to all of you for much needed advice...Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread