Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Need to pick up a small coil for my trashy areas for the Etrac.
I was thinking of the NEL sharpshooter or the 8x6 SEF. I really don't want to loose all my coverage with something like the X-5 but need to sift through the trash better.
Anyone use either of these with success or have a better option?
Thanks for your help!

NEPAMD

Jul 23, 2015
Northeast PA
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Etrac, Safari Previously: Xterra 705, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in the same boat as you. I thinking about going with the treasureseeker or digger from coiltek. I had the digger for the xterra and it was a great coil! I like the treasureseeker because you can cover more ground and still get the seperation.

OP
OP
RobRieman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im in the same boat as you. I thinking about going with the treasureseeker or digger from coiltek. I had the digger for the xterra and it was a great coil! I like the treasureseeker because you can cover more ground and still get the seperation.

I use the 8x6 SEF on my V3i and love it. I don't use the big coil unless I have to cover more ground and there is low trash. Most of the sites I hunt are littered with trash and I know I'm picking up multiple targets with the 11" on the Etrac. From what I researched the NEL looked like it separated good and still had some descent depth.
I'm new to the Etrac so I wanted to get some seasoned users opinions before I buy the wrong coil for it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You have to make your choice. You say you "don't want to loose coverage", yet you want something better for in-the-trash (iron, etc...). While it's true that the 6x8 has more "coverage" than the 5", yet the 5" is going to afford you better separation. You can't have it both ways. The 5" will separate better (less items in the field-of-view for it to potentially "mask" on), yet the 6x8 (which, yes, is better than the 10.5 on "separation") will be more prone to masking.

You gotta make your choice. Can't have the best of both worlds.

I would go with the 5". And here's why:

a) The 10.5 on the various explorer's, FOR THE DEPTH DEMON THAT IT IS, is still pretty durned good (considering the power-house that it is) in separation aspects. It's got a sort of "averaging" of targets that , going slow over suspected targets, you can often get a peak (in audio) of stuff trying to peak through. And yes I realize that in the "foot-print" of a large coil like the 10.5, and if you have a very trash/iron ridden site, that it's no longer a matter of a conductor trying to peak through a single nail or whatever. Because there can be MULTIPLE nails within the footprint of the 10.5. But all-in-all, if you're just hitting a single nail over (or next to) a coin, the explorer's, even with the 10.5, give you a fighting chance (with proper wiggle, and slowness) to get peaks.

b) So therefore, if I find myself un-satisfied with that (for a really bad site), then the mere definition of such a type site, means I'd want the most optimum guns. I mean, in-such-sites, "coverage" is no longer an issue, so why oh why do I care to have the added "coverage" of 8" vs 5", when my new objective is "trash-see-through/around" ?

c) I don't think there's much depth difference in the 6x8 versus the 5". And to the extent there IS a depth difference with the slightly larger coil, you still have to take into account, that any conditions where you've had to reach for the smaller coil, is often a place where "depth" is an issue that's thrown out the window. You're in places where your primary objective is see through-around. And you have to compromise on not expecting the depth that you could other wise get. Because again, you can't have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to make your choice. You say you "don't want to loose coverage", yet you want something better for in-the-trash (iron, etc...). While it's true that the 6x8 has more "coverage" than the 5", yet the 5" is going to afford you better separation. You can't have it both ways. The 5" will separate better (less items in the field-of-view for it to potentially "mask" on), yet the 6x8 (which, yes, is better than the 10.5 on "separation") will be more prone to masking.

You gotta make your choice. Can't have the best of both worlds.

I would go with the 5". And here's why:

a) The 10.5 on the various explorer's, FOR THE DEPTH DEMON THAT IT IS, is still pretty durned good (considering the power-house that it is) in separation aspects. It's got a sort of "averaging" of targets that , going slow over suspected targets, you can often get a peak (in audio) of stuff trying to peak through. And yes I realize that in the "foot-print" of a large coil like the 10.5, and if you have a very trash/iron ridden site, that it's no longer a matter of a conductor trying to peak through a single nail or whatever. Because there can be MULTIPLE nails within the footprint of the 10.5. But all-in-all, if you're just hitting a single nail over (or next to) a coin, the explorer's, even with the 10.5, give you a fighting chance (with proper wiggle, and slowness) to get peaks.

b) So therefore, if I find myself un-satisfied with that (for a really bad site), then the mere definition of such a type site, means I'd want the most optimum guns. I mean, in-such-sites, "coverage" is no longer an issue, so why oh why do I care to have the added "coverage" of 8" vs 5", when my new objective is "trash-see-through/around" ?

c) I don't think there's much depth difference in the 6x8 versus the 5". And to the extent there IS a depth difference with the slightly larger coil, you still have to take into account, that any conditions where you've had to reach for the smaller coil, is often a place where "depth" is an issue that's thrown out the window. You're in places where your primary objective is see through-around. And you have to compromise on not expecting the depth that you could other wise get. Because again, you can't have the best of both worlds.

You nailed it Tom.:thumbsup:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sunray X5 is really hot for its size.... I personally love that coil on my Etrac. You may not think an 8" ish sized coil will mask much, but I've seen targets hit hard with the X5 that are nulled out with an 8" coil.... For ultimate trash seperation get the X5 or the Coiltek 6". Both are awesome in the trashiest of sites.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the post title, I was expecting some story about a bad coil and you tossing it out.
I better get some sleep..

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!
Listen to Tom....!!!!!! I have the Nel ss, the 6x8 SEF and use the Nel for most my hunting and like it. With that said....like Tom said, you can't have it both ways. My FAVORITE coil in trash is my beloved 6" eq2 and depth is very respectable at 7-8" on dimes/pennys............

OP
OP
RobRieman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listen to Tom....!!!!!! I have the Nel ss, the 6x8 SEF and use the Nel for most my hunting and like it. With that said....like Tom said, you can't have it both ways. My FAVORITE coil in trash is my beloved 6" eq2 and depth is very respectable at 7-8" on dimes/pennys............

My 6" Coiltek just arrived today from Bart. Going to give it a spin tonight!

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the stock 10" coil on my explorer. Had the 10" on my Elite and was frustrated in trashy areas. I went to the 8" 800 coil and walla, perfection. Hits doubles just 2" apart. I can't believe the difference 2" makes !

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Coiltek 10x5, it is awesome. Plenty deep, great seperation, glad I got it.

OP
OP
RobRieman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
keep us posted on the coiltek I would like to hear what you have to say about it

After using the coil for a couple months I really like it in the heavy trash and iron areas. It's a little heavy for a small coil but the benefits out way the weight. I have pulled some good finds in TTF where the stock coil just would not see it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions