Small contraption?

MountainDewed

Oct 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any clue? Found it in a dried up lake. My first thought was maybe some type of tree swing contraption but no idea?

WP_20151021_19_29_15_Pro[1].jpgWP_20151021_19_29_03_Pro[1].jpg

It's called a "pole breaker".
Some people call them fuses, but they are resettable.

Here's a pic from the web showing one that has opened due to high current, or a fault on the line.
(Or, maybe the utility is working on the drop and have it open for a reason?)

http://waterheatertimer.org/images/Tripped-fuse-IMG_2699-1000a.jpg

It's the lower portion of the device, located at center screen, right side of the insulator, which itself is on the right side of the pole.
(I'm too lazy to annotate it with an arrow - but it should be very obvious.)

The hook you see on the left-hand side of YOUR image is where the utility worker attaches a "hot-stick", which is a special insulated pole for working on "live" high-voltage power lines.
These are very common. Now that you know what it is, you'll see them everywhere on power poles in your neighborhood. (typically the poles in residential areas - these are not used on the big long distance transmission towers).

Upvote 0
Cool thank you, it's funny because I found a tap cartridge device that holds two wires together at another park just two days ago.

Upvote 0
Yep pole breaker The dog gone tree rats trip those all the time out here.One time all i found was a burnt up tail hanging off of the breaker.

Upvote 0
These "breakers" are REAL LOUD when they blow also. They sound just like a shotgun going off. I was about 30 yds. away from one when it blew out of the blue. It's an attention getter....!!!

Upvote 0
These "breakers" are REAL LOUD when they blow also. They sound just like a shotgun going off. I was about 30 yds. away from one when it blew out of the blue. It's an attention getter....!!!

During one of the last hurricanes around here, I watched a utility worker repeatedly reset one of these breakers (using a hot stick, of course) in an effort to clear the lines.
About a block away, some small tree limbs were tangled up in the wires.

By constantly resetting the breaker, the worker was able to catch the tree limbs on fire, and knock them off the lines.
Fault cleared - electric service restored, move on to the next neighborhood having trouble.

Effective, but I wouldn't recommend the approach in drought-stricken California!
Of course, after a hurricane, everything is pretty wet (and blown over!).

Upvote 0
I find alot of these types of devices/similar stuff under power lines a lot gets dropped & never recovered by the workers. I recently found a Lg. wire puller & sold it for $100.00....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back