Small effigy pipe my friend found (Updated Info)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought some of you would like to see this pipe my friend found in a plowed field on the outskirts of Ligonier, PA about 15 years ago. He was in a field we all walked as kids, but none of us ever found anything like this before. He took it to the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh and they identified the type of stone it was made from and how old it was. I don't remember these details, but I can find out if anyone is interested. I just have these pictures he sent me.

I guess it just proves that these kind of artifacts can be found in fields if you're lucky.

I spoke to my buddy who found the pipe today. He said the archaeologist at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History here in Pittsburgh told him the pipe was made from an oolitic material, probably from Ohio. He also said it was "late prehistoric", about 1000 years old. My buddy believes it is a "mask" effigy because when you look at it from the side view it appears that there is a larger facial feature that is defined by a scribed line around the back edge of the raised "mask".

Attachments

• artifactFRONT (Small).jpg
    artifactFRONT (Small).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 536
  • artifactLSIDE (Small).jpg
    artifactLSIDE (Small).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 537
  • artifactRSIDE (Small).jpg
    artifactRSIDE (Small).jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 531
  • artifactTOP (Small).jpg
    artifactTOP (Small).jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 514
  • artifactBACK (Small).jpg
    artifactBACK (Small).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 505
Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Re: Small effigy pipe my friend found

THAT IS FANTASTIC!! I wonder what they smoked in it? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Felinepeachy said:
THAT IS FANTASTIC!! I wonder what they smoked in it? :dontknow:

I don't know, but it was all legal back then :tongue3:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome Effigy Pipe your friend found Steve. Does he still have it, I hope?

I'd be willing to bet it's a Hopewell type Pipe since they were really big on Human and Animal Effigies in their Pipes. I hope your friend realizes just how rare of a find this is and keeps it and if does ever sell it he gets top dollar for it. A Pipe like that could possibly bring thousands of dollars for it.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio

Steve (of PA).. Definately retrieve the details of that find! Exceptional find for your friend! I agree with SRV on the value of that! Pieces like that keep us all mud deep and falling over like Peachy! :laughing9:

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

Wow!!Very neat find and please more details from your friend.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

They were puffing on the wacky tobbacky no doubt...what a piece, I'd need a fresh pair of pants if I stumbled across that killer pipe.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is awesome :o
It looks like soapstone, to me.

Cheers, Mike

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SRV said:
Awesome Effigy Pipe your friend found Steve. Does he still have it, I hope?

I'd be willing to bet it's a Hopewell type Pipe since they were really big on Human and Animal Effigies in their Pipes. I hope your friend realizes just how rare of a find this is and keeps it and if does ever sell it he gets top dollar for it. A Pipe like that could possibly bring thousands of dollars for it.

Oh he definitely still has it. It's in a display with other Native American artifacts that he's found. I've seen it many times and I know exactly where he found it. I know it is not soapstone, but I don't remember the name of the stone that the museum said it was made from. I sent him an e-mail with a link to this post, and will update this post as soon as I hear back from him.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong

That is a spectacular relic. It's the kind of piece that would be center frame in any collection.

I would guess Mississippian period.

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA

As a guy who spends his fair share of time walking fields not to far from you and your friend...I am amazed. By far the nicest piece I have ever seen in this area.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a awesome pipe it is probably a Hopewell pipe.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SRV said:
So if it's a thousand years old that would put it in the late Woodland range and probably associated with the Monogahela culture of that area. I can see what you mean about it representing a mask now that you mention it. Very cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monongahela_culture

I am familiar with the Mononhahela culture to some extent. My brother worked as a contract archaeologist on a dig at a Monongahela site near New Stanton, PA back in the mid 1990's. They believe this site was the abandoned village mentioned by members of the Braddock expedition against Fort Duquesne in 1755. Braddock's road passed right next to this site. I was also thinking this pipe fit into their time frame.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread