Small engines and pumps for highbanking

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some guys that use cheapie trash pumps for highbanking and they seem to do the trick as long as you are not too far from the water source or up hill.
I've used my gx200 with 280gal per min pump to highbank 326' from the water with multiple ups and downs and about 20' vertical from the creek with adequate water to run the box.
Have any of you guys used some of these smaller pumps now available? and with what type of real world results?
I just need a lightweight motor that is capable of pumping enough water lets say 50' away and 10' up to clear a 12" by 48" sluice box. High pressure pumps aren't cheap and maybe one of these little pumps might work?http://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/quick_search.php
The best bet looks to be the honda wx15http://www.acetoolonline.com/Honda-WX15-1-5-General-Lightweight-Pump-p/hon-wx15.htm but will anything smaller do the trick?
Any input would be great, Thanks
CGC

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I know someone who uses that exact engine/pump combo, yes....that will do just fine! ;D

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High pressure and mo' bigger is always mo' better. You can always turn down but when maxed out with chinese junk your outta there as your good pump has proven--go with the best--John :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
CGC Miner

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that it is good to have more than enough power, but for highbanking in remote spots with very limited water I need a smaller set up to pack in more easily and conserve water. I'm guessing the 2.5hp honda would do the trick as long as it comes with a decent pump. Those little 1.5hp 4cycles sure would be nice if they has a special high performance pump. Some of them weigh only 12lbs.

OP
OP
CGC Miner

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up getting the honda wx15 with honda trash pump. The portability and performance is perfect for my needs. Easy to prime and it is pushing water great. With 60ft of hose and a rise of 15-20ft, I have plenty of water and pressure to feed a 12" wide sluice well. I would like a little more water volume...but it is good. With 30ft of hose the flow is perfect.
If you can find a deal, a high pressure pump would be better. but for half the cost.........I am happy.
I think this water pump would work well with a 2"dredge but anything bigger would probably be counter productive.
When choosing pumps, gas powered or bilge, the GPM are extremely important to consider when choosing the right pump for your set up. If you don't have enough water......your box won't clear or work properly.
This set up would probably work well with a wide beach box, but a regular hungarian riffle sluice 14" or wider likely won't have enough water flow.
CGC
Keep in mind, these tests were done at 9,250ft.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
i have a honda wh15x pressure model that i bought in 1992 on payments at the local hardware store.model numbers have probably changed,but pressure models have a much tighter clearance between impeller and casing.at full rev it runs a 2.5 suction nozzle at creek level.only efficient with good nozzle/feed habits.slower is faster.highbanking,as far as 400 feet from water source,works well,but only a 10 inch wide bottom.12 inch sluice,riffles become a hindrance.takes more water to operate standard riffles.the jump from 10 to 12 is a big one.high profile raised expanded metal over moss/carpet,no riffles can do the trick.lets the box clear itself,and greatly increase recovery.was told by an old codger 25 yrs ago,more water=more gold.took a few years for me to fully grasp this concept.if you cant increase water flow,decrease water requirements.one way is to increase the slope of the box.imo,anything beyond 2inches slope per foot of sluice is counter productive.would rather lose the riffles from the box,stay at one and a half per foot,particularly when hibanking with this size pump and a 12 inch bottom.spraybars.dont overlook the restricted waterflows caused with many stock spraybar setups.increase pressure=reduce flow,and vice versa.another problem,especially with long hoselays,the little kinks/creases that happen at every bend in the hose.those pretty layflat hoses often supplied are junk,firehoses almost as bad.these are designed for high psi waterflows,never confuse volume with pressure.when possible,good old black poly irrigation line works far better.hope this helps,gotta run,good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread