Small Half Dollar Score 10/8/11

sitman

Aug 2, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70
I went to a small branch of a local, non-national bank with my 15 year old son to deposit some gift money in his account. After finishing with the deposit, I asked the teller if she had any half dollars or large dollar coins. She had neither, but the teller next to her piped up that she had $5 in half dollars. I quickly gave her a $5 bill, and as I took possession of the half dollars, my son intently was looking at them and asked whether there were any old ones (he has been taught well). The teller heard him and said that there were half dollars in the pile from the 1960s. Sure enough, there were three 40% silver half dollars. The rest were all from the 1970s, so it was probably an older stash that was turned in. I decided to press my luck and ask for dimes. They were able to spare $100 in CWR. Unfortunately, there were no silver dimes.

I have made a number of silver scores at this bank branch. The conversation I had with the teller confirms that if they do know about silver, they don't pull it. I really should stop by there more often.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
some nice finds for you and your son. :thumbsup:

I'll take 3 out of 10 - or 30% success - any time. :)

I love those loose half dollars also - I find a lot of keepers that way myself.

I just remembered I had a similar score myself on Friday. I got 3 40%ers out of $5.50 loose halves from one bank then I got skunked with $180 in cwr halves from another bank. That's the way it usually is with me - the larger the half dollar cwr search the more likely someones dump and a skunk for me. I would have much rather preferred that 2nd bank only had $18 in halves instead of $180 - I'm sure my chances of finding some keepers would have been much better - plus I would have less to search and dump.

HH

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of MD are you in? I grew up in St. Mary's County.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread