Small Home Safe For Coins

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Get one that you can bolt down.otherwise theres no sense in getting one that can be picked up and carried away.

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, bolt it down or concrete it in. I'd avoid the smaller safes otherwise.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Size matters where you hide it is the important thing

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a pistol safe.I cant bolt it down though.I keep a few things in there so if it gets picked up,tipped,the items will move around.If somebody breaks in theyll go for the safe,theyll think something is in it because of the loose items.Theyll take the safe.They wont get jack,except the empty safe.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three safes. You wont find the third medium size. As someone mentioned above a hand gun safe is in a obvious place with nearly nothing of value inside. Take and move on. Def buy something you can bolt down. In the wall or floor mounted with bolts with a false door. shhhhh People talk and its always someone you know.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get one that you can bolt down.otherwise theres no sense in getting one that can be picked up and carried away.

My specs are 400 + pounds empty , with room for at-least 4 long guns & a small shelf or 3 for coins & relics.

This would be unbolted as my neighbors a very close by.

Note , I may decide to bolt in down YNK.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine weighs about 50 60 pounds.if somebody wants to take it and run down the street with it good luck

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

safes have usually resistance class certifications -> look up what you deem necessary and shop accordingly

Double bit key > Combination > electronic lock. I just have been told so, yet the guy should know.

While you are at it, consider buying a safe with a fire resistance rating, too. I have great ease of mind having the vital documents in a fire safe place.

Buying one a few litres with more content may be a good choice. You´ll find much more that could be locked up after a while.

And Yes, I totaly agree with bolt on being a must for a small safe

Greets Namxat

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I watched some Youtube videos about how to open a safe. Showed a guy with a crowbar pry the door open in just a few minutes.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched some Youtube videos about how to open a safe. Showed a guy with a crowbar pry the door open in just a few minutes.

Much faster way is to just wait until the home owner comes home, make him or her eat you weapon until they open it.

Fairly common practice actually, especially if the safe appears to be of quality, for some reason perps think there is better stuff inside and worth the wait.

So not just bolting down or recessing, but hiding it is very important.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to purchase a small home safe for my more valuable coins. Any recommendations?

I wouldn't bother with a safe, it's too obvious. If I ever had to hide treasure I would put it in a container that nobody would want to open. Get one of those medical syringe disposal containers and put your treasures in there wrapped in some tissues. Put tape on the container and write in big letters 'AIDS INFECTED BLOOD'. You can even glue some sewing needles to some clear plastic straws to look like fake syringes inside - guarantee no burglar will steal it - it may even scare them away from your home entirely.
Sharps-Container-1-Quart.jpg

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a plastic bag,in a metal box, buried under some Stinking cat litter. No one Ever goes there,not even to clean it out :):tongue3:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a small safe and quickly regretted it. I bolted down and concealed it behind a false wall behind a small storage room under a flight of stairs. You need room for your stuff - but also for dessicant inside the safe. I left that one behind and got two Liberty gun safes 800 pounds each. I concealed these safes in a small room behind a false wall when i finished a new basement. When it was time to sell that house, the buyers and their home inspector never found the wall or room. The wall was knotty pine planks ship-lapped so it was not obvious that pulling on one plank would expose a hinged door. When the new buyers did their walk-through a few days before closing, their jaws dropped when I showed them the hidden room. They decided to buy one of the safes and I hired a safe moving company to move the other one to another place.

Don't bother with the lightweight lower quality warehouse club or department store safes. Visit a gun safe store showroom and talk to a professional. Get one size bigger that you think you need. Remember that high fire resistance reduces interior volume.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hidden room under stairway at 3:19 in the vid.

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started with a small safe and quickly regretted it. I bolted down and concealed it behind a false wall behind a small storage room under a flight of stairs. You need room for your stuff - but also for dessicant inside the safe. I left that one behind and got two Liberty gun safes 800 pounds each. I concealed these safes in a small room behind a false wall when i finished a new basement. When it was time to sell that house, the buyers and their home inspector never found the wall or room. The wall was knotty pine planks ship-lapped so it was not obvious that pulling on one plank would expose a hinged door. When the new buyers did their walk-through a few days before closing, their jaws dropped when I showed them the hidden room. They decided to buy one of the safes and I hired a safe moving company to move the other one to another place.

Don't bother with the lightweight lower quality warehouse club or department store safes. Visit a gun safe store showroom and talk to a professional. Get one size bigger that you think you need. Remember that high fire resistance reduces interior volume.

While not practical for some, this is the way to protect your valuable items and important documents.

My Liberty Safe is 1000 lbs empty and through bolted and welded to the cement floor.

One essential item not to be forgotten is to have a Golden Rod installed to keep the moisture at acceptable levels. Most quality safes have two small holes specifically designed to accommodate a Golden Rod like device. One small hole at the back for the cord to go through and one at the top to allow the moisture to escape.
https://www.amazon.com/GoldenRod-inch-Dehumidifier-5D-24-Dehumidifiers/dp/B005FRG03O

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting