RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went detecting with my parents about a week ago and found this locket about 5 inches deep. I saw a glimmer of gold and got excited. The house we were detecting dates back to the 1790's. I know the locket is modern. It was covered in dirt and red mud. My wife got upset with me because I used her gold cleaner to clean the locket and pretty much made the solution brown. The picture below is the locket cleaned up. It opens and closes but there was nothing inside. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• Locket.jpg
    Locket.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 841
Upvote 0

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Looks like gold to me. No marks though? Sometimes they are real tiny. You might even check on the ring at the very top. Have seen them there sometimes. Great find!

Elliott Ness

Dec 1, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac / Garett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice little locket. You got the gold now go get that silver. :icon_thumleft:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
the mark is probly on the inside of one of the rings or inside the loop.. you'll probly need mag glass 10X or better to see it if it's there..

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
creeper71 said:
the mark is probly on the inside of one of the rings or inside the loop.. you'll probly need mag glass 10X or better to see it if it's there..

Thanks for the tip about the mark, I need to go buy a mag glass.

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
creeper71 said:
RiverRat3 said:
creeper71 said:

Thanks for the tip about the mark, I need to go buy a mag glass.
did you find a mark on it?

Sorry I have not checked yet. I am currently in North Carolina but I did get a magnifying glass. It will be the first thing I do when I get back. Hopefully I find something down here on the beaches.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like gold, any signs of chipping, flaking or rubbing off?? ??? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Nice find !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Looks like gold, any signs of chipping, flaking or rubbing off?? ??? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Nice find !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D

Nope, it seems in good shape. No flaking or chipping that I observed. I found a small bracelet at another farm and noticed it was probably once plated gold. I think the gold rubbed off and alll that was left was metal. Does jewelry thats plated gold wear or rub off after time?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread