nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this rock today while detecting, upon closer inspection I noticed the imprint of what looks like a clam shell. I added a half dollar to the pic for size comparison. Anybody know what type of rock this is, it is an odd color. The rock is extremely fine grained, could be polished to look like glass. Would the fossil, if this would even qualify as a fossil, just be called a clam? Any info appreciated.....thx

HH

Attachments

• fossil.jpg
    fossil.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 299

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yes you are correct. A clam or bivalue. Geologists call these fossils pelecypods.
The rock matrix is either Limestone or chert. Take some HCL or hydrochloric acid(Muriatic acid-old name) and add a few drops- if it fizzles it is limestone.

George

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool, I knew that someone on here would know......I didn't know that limestone was any color but gray tho......learn something new every day.......odd to find a clam fossil in the hills of WV....but the rock could have came from somewhere else....thx again

HH

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Looks like a flint pebble to me. That same color of flint is very common here in Oklahoma and the water-worn kind is very common along the lake shores and in the river beds. Often, it will contain a fossil or two -- mainly crinoids but sometimes pelycepods and brachiopods.

Richard
http://www.bapaleo.org

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread