✅ SOLVED Small projectile point or maybe something else ?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a nice day here on the front range of Colorado yesterday, so I went out to have a look at a place I've found some limited artifacts. I did find this little point and I wonder if it's a projectile or more of a drill? What I found yesterday is in the 1st picture. In the 2nd picture is one I found along the Arkansas River North of Buena Vista, Colo back in the 1980s. They just seem to small to be mounted to an arrow shaft to me, so maybe they're a drill bit or something like that? I think there was a dude spying on me off in the distance in that 3rd picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20161216_160154.jpg
    IMG_20161216_160154.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20161216_160229.jpg
    IMG_20161216_160229.jpg
    871 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20161216_160329.jpg
    IMG_20161216_160329.jpg
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, 1st looks like small clovis

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks worked to me. Reckon what that dude was doing out there, it's beautiful country.
well he couldn't watch me anymore after I dropped below the hill out of his sight. Could have been a cop as they do drive those Chevy Trailblazer's.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they both look like points to me. The 1st one even has a impact fracture on the tip. Story to be told as to how it was used. And the guy dang thats just weird.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really neat material thanks for sharing

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds .... I like the colors. So do you find them just laying on top ground or usually hunt washouts?
These hills get washed all over in snow melt and rain. There's just one hill in the whole area around me that has yielded any finds. It has a perfect viewing point with a flat and level top. It sits where a spring feed steam and two creeks with names meet. It was never cultivated as the soil is much to rocky imo. The only thing that was excavated was a 19th century railroad that has long been torn up and I have found flakes and chips along it as I believe they were maybe dug up from when they laid the tracks. You can see the old railroad grade in the 3rd picture running half way up along the hill on the other side of the gully in front of me. I also find old shotgun shells that date from the late 19th to early 20th century around the area and I bet I'm not the first person who has noticed Indian artifacts could be found in and a round there. My best find was a very nice mano stone I found the very first time I got the notion to check out that hill. I walked right up to it and it was laying there. I suspect it was uncovered by a very heavy rain fall we had back on Sept. 2013.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a cool spot..... Especially with the railroad history. I just got done binge watching "hell on wheels " ...story line follows expansion of the railroad west makes you appreciate the hard work put in but regret the decisions made towards the natives.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was Folsom. Some are pretty small, but yours are sho'nuff tiny!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yep, the later points got pretty small. True bow and arrow points, i find a lot that small.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Sweet points...is that reddish one a jasper?
I rafted the Arkansas many moons ago when I lived in Colorado...there's a bad rapid down there called the Sledgehammer.

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Plains Trianglular
Time Period : 400-170 B.P.
Shape : Arrow Points

Description:
A small size, thin, triangular arrow point with a straight to concave base and sharp basal ears.
The point on the right found around Buena Vista is made of Trout Creek Chert. The One on the left I am not sure on the lithic.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a cool spot..... Especially with the railroad history. I just got done binge watching "hell on wheels " ...story line follows expansion of the railroad west makes you appreciate the hard work put in but regret the decisions made towards the natives.

Plains Trianglular
Time Period : 400-170 B.P.
Shape : Arrow Points

Description:
A small size, thin, triangular arrow point with a straight to concave base and sharp basal ears.
The point on the right found around Buena Vista is made of Trout Creek Chert. The One on the left I am not sure on the lithic.
I've never heard of Trout Creek chert. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen any an inch long? I doubt it.
Me either. It's a dinky one and that's why I question the true function of it.

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never heard of Trout Creek chert. Thanks for the info.

Trout Creek chert starts about 6 miles east of Buena Vista on US 285 and goes to about 25 miles north west of the royal gorge. The most common color is brown with black dots but the red is the next common color. I think the other lithic may be a Kansas chert type. I can rule out Elizabeth chert for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread