Small road trip almost a bust

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit a small town about 10 miles away from me today. I went to all 6 banks in town asking for halfs and large dollars. I got about $140 in loose halves and total skunk.. One the way back home there is a branch of my dump bank so I stopped to cash it in..

The teller was giving me the third degree about where I got all the halves, thinking I stole someones collection.. I gave her one of my coin collector/metal detector business cards and she finally calmed down and gave me my cash. She then went to the machine and pulled out the reject bin and let me look through it! I offered her a dollar for the contents and she said you can just have it!

I did find 1 53 rosie! It also had $2.12 in banged up clad and a small amount of foreign most notably a 1947 Canadian nickel.

Any Idea what this lil token/coin is? Looks religious but ??

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 252
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 253
  • .jpg
    .jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what your "token" is, but I'd guess that it is a reproduction of some ancient coin. Someone on here will know.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a repro of a Widow's Mite

widows-mite-roman-coins_900px.jpg

^Authentic

widows_mite.jpg

^Repro

A pretty common Roman coin, but has gained popularity due to it being the focus of one of Jesus' parables (Luke 21:1-4)

But you can buy authentic ones for under $20 or so depending on the grade

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions