Small Rock Crusher Question

mirkaba

Dec 7, 2004
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Howdy! I have a little bit of pretty fair high grade gold ore that needs crushing. I have passed out of mortar and pestle territory and need a tad more production. Does anyone use this little impact mill?
Home Page
If so or if you know anything about it could you let me know how it works please? I especially would like to know how the wear parts hold up and what sort of volume a person could expect to turn to powder. What size classifier screens, is there a place to clean out larger retained gold etc. Thanks and good luck! Bob

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For details like that it might be best to give them a call tomorrow
and ask the manufacturer. No personal experience, but from what
I've read they can go through quite a few sets of chain.

OP
OP
mirkaba

mirkaba

Dec 7, 2004
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Thanks.........I do plan on giving them a call but its always good to get some first hand users opinions and ideas. I have been stuck with some pretty off the wall gizzies and gadgets before. :)

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
My friend made one for me.Worked very well,but somewhat slow.The model shown could use some modifications.Mine used a number 60 chain and the last link eventually wore off,which is no big deal.A zig-zag shoot on top would be much better for dust control and rock throwback.Having a screw type device on the bottom to push out all the fines into a bluebowl or sluice would work wonders.Will try and get up pictures at some point.I used a wet/dry vac to clean out the unit after unbolting the side plate.Slow and annoying.......

Last edited:

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
these pics were courtesy of a fellow on the old Alaska gold forum,the secomd pic shows the guts which are likely much better than using a chain to pulverize the rock.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
..showing the number 60 chain inside.On this unit you had to vacumn out the crushed material after removing the plate.Not very efficient but it works.The motor is from a washing machine.If your handy you could probably build a unit for $100 or less if you've access to the materials.You can make it any size you desire.

OP
OP
mirkaba

mirkaba

Dec 7, 2004
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Damn that is a lot simpler than I imagined. Thanks Dave. I think a person could probably either weld hard steel to the chain shackle, make a hard steel hammer or hardface it for better wear. Time to visit the scrap yard maybe. It will probably be June before I can get back to the mine but I have a few buckets of ore to play with. I am definately not going to crush it by hand. What rpm does it spin?

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Mirkaba,wouldn't know about the RPM's as I'm not mechanical at all.Mine in the lower pics was run like I mentioned by an old washing machine motor,either 1/2 or 1/3 HP.People have old washers/and or dryers laying around and mine was free.The unit I had tore the quartz to hell.Very fine powder but don't know the mesh.The body was made from some type of old holding tank and cut down.On the plate that opens it's wise to have a gasket as some dust will fly out.Even if you have to replace the shackles now and then it's worth it.I gave my unit to a friend who worked on my truck as my mining partner didn't like that the recovered gold came out in little BB like balls,ha.ha.The fellow recovered a DWT of little BB's from the dust inside.Like mentioned earlier if you can figure out a shoot on the bottom emptying into a classifier that would be great.

OP
OP
mirkaba

mirkaba

Dec 7, 2004
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I used to have an old Gibson Prospector mill. It was a wet sort of impact mill. Had a big eliptical weight that rode in a revolving drum. There were 2 trips on the inside of the drum so that the weight fell twice per revolution. The fines would splash up on the sides and go through the classifier screen. It was pretty cool but the gold would smash flat and plug the classifier screen. I don't mind the bb's as long as you can get them out without a big hassle. The rich gold I will still mortar. Out of habit and I kind of like to look at it......:) Shouldn't be to hard to come up with a classifier on the bottom....maybe. I guess I better think about it.

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are some decent videos on building them on utube. I don't know how to do a link,, "ask Jeff Williams" (I think that's the name) has a in depth one..he also tells what he would do differently after using it which is helpful..GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone found plans for a small jaw crusher? I am wondering how to make a wobbel drive for the jaw. I was thinking of making a cam shaft lobe that would turn against the back of the jaw and have a spring on the bottom of the jaw to pull it back? I was also thinking a flywheel would help.. Any ideas greatly appricated. Thanks

adam h

Nov 12, 2013
Has anyone found plans for a small jaw crusher? I am wondering how to make a wobbel drive for the jaw. I was thinking of making a cam shaft lobe that would turn against the back of the jaw and have a spring on the bottom of the jaw to pull it back? I was also thinking a flywheel would help.. Any ideas greatly appricated. Thanks

Check out red rhino crushers

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive built a couple of my own.. Ball mill (crushes to 200plus mesh and floats gold like a freak) and the http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...ock-crusher-36-bucks-homemade-tearing-up.html all in all the one you first found has a couple of manufacturers.. and they only have one problem the Chains wear out.. several of my friends have them.. even on mine the "Hammer wears out" but i have a quick fix i weld a new set of beads to it like teeth.. and Chain is cheep.. either way you go .. cheap or to an extreme like the Alibaba ones.. its really up to how far you can go with your imagination.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I have several patents and there are multiple sites that have the basics of the operation of a jaw crusher. The hard part is finding small pieces of hard plate. Even hard facing rods are expensive.

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the metal and rod I need to build a small crusher,,what would be nice is a picture of the wobble drive for the jaw and the spring set up for the bottom of the jaw.

Last edited:

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the metal and rod I need to build a small crusher,,what would be nice is a picture of the wobble drive for the jaw and the spring set up for the bottom of the jaw.

Try out Google books. Free! Modern iron foundry and practise. Or mining america has a ton of old 1914 designs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread