Small Score

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been too busy to CRH much lately, but that didn't stop me from glancing at the teller tray when I deposited a check this afternoon. Saw two halves in there, one with a distinctive silver rim. Nonchalantly bought the two halves, put them in my pocket, and heard that distinctive sound. When I got outside I saw this. Not much, but beats going through a box and getting skunked.

Attachments

• image-2005995354.jpg
    image-2005995354.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 299
Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice teller tray find- the one i got last week I couldn't see since the tray was hidden in the corner, so I can't wait till I can see one sitting there and get to buy it- of course as long as it isn't be held for someone else \:$

Photonianpa

May 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a look at this site last night when I couldn't sleep. Figured I would give it a go this morning after taking the kiddo to school. Stopped at about 10 banks to get the lay of the land and see what's out there. I live in a rural-esque part of PA so most of the smaller banks had next to none (if any). I did manage to find one box and about another $100 in rolled and loose. Needless to say I found my supply bank. The guy says he gets them in frequently and that others ask for them too. Competition, I'm not the only hunter in my area, but alas, there is enough coin to go around (I hope). Not really knowing what I was looking for with my wife, we read up some more and then set out to see what the box had in store. We were basically looking for anything 1970 or older and anything that has an S on the face. We also looked for the oddballs of the crowd like the Franklin and Liberty.

All in all we managed one 2007 S proof and a 1964 90% out of the box, the loose and loose rolls yielded nothing. Not having a reference point I guess that's a decent start to CRH. We also found a few unique things. One of these coins has a bulge on the face as if a bubble were coming out of it, very strange, the whole coin is very dark as well. We cant figure out what could have happened to it for it to be shaped and colored like that. Another is gold colored and is painted in color on the face. Something about baseball and a guy named Mariano Rivera but the paint is badly worn, the date might be 2005 or 2008. We are not sure what to make of it.
DSCN0900-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0900.JPG
    DSCN0900.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 312

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice first hunt. The bulge is strange. The baseball one may be collectible but given its shape maybe not. Welcome to the club.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Coins in a fire will have a bulge like that, I think the copper melts faster or something like that.

Photonianpa

May 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That baseball coin was in pretty bad shape, decided to see what was going on with the gold color. Took a little cleaner to it and it took the paint right off. As it turns out upon further research, this whole coin is gold plated. It looks really sharp now in the collection! Can't believe that was a first box find, of course since then I have been skunked a few times on boxes but none the less we keep at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread