Small scratches on my coil.

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a seahunter mark 2 I have used for about a year. There are a bunch of small scratches on the bottom of the coil. Would that cause it to false? It does it when the coil first hits the water and some times when I touch the bottom. It kinda sounds like small little rapid falsing beeps. The machine works great still pick up targets. I didn't see any evidence of water leaks in the machine as well. Any help or advise would be great thank you. HH and stay warm and safe.

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near the surf most machines false. Highly sensitive machines may false when bumping them as well especially with high sensitivity. Salt water has a high concentration of salt so hearing minerals ..... kind of a swouch can be normal as well. MOST any coil will have scratches especially beach coils. If you are concerned, which i wouldnt be based on what you said, id put loctite marine epoxy on the bottom of the coil. Hard as rock and would seal it.

Dew

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't sweat it. When first entering the water you encounter lots of minerals. Use a coil cover.

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a pi machine it's not supposed to pick up minerals though?

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
A new coil is not much more than most people spend for a coil cover.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 17 15.50.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 17 15.50.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 78

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In reading your post you say you've used the machine for a year now. Are you saying this is a new phenomenon or has it done this from day 1? If since day 1 then I assume that's how the machine handles salt water, if new then yes something is wrong and should be checked out.

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not really salt water but it's a new phenomenon

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new coil is not much more than most people spend for a coil cover.
I respectfully disagree with you, most covers cost no more then twenty dollars, while most coils cost more then one hundred dollars. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would rather not send my machine away if it's just a coil issue.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are really wrong about a PI not supposed to pick up minerals. They are highly sensitive depending on the Us.... which is anywhere from 10 Us to 24 Us for most machines. You hear a LOT more EMI, minerals, salt, and water swoosh as opposed to VLFs that have a salt setting. People using a PI are hoping to find deeper........ and smaller targets that VLFs may miss because of that salt setting.

Dew

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
It's not really salt water but it's a new phenomenon

I do not know if you can edit your original post to include Seahunter as people who own them may chime in.
I run the Inifinium , it uses the same batteries and I had 1 of my rechargeable batteries that would not hold a charge as long as the rest and I had a hard time getting ti quiet it down and run smooth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread