Small towns versus large towns

jun808bug

Feb 11, 2014
In my area, small town banks produce more. Mainly because, it has less CRHz. The less hunters looking for them, the better your chances.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What have you found yields better results, small town banks or large city banks?:hello::tchest:

I find that banks with higher foot traffic yield better results. Even banks that are dumped on a lot by hunters. These banks are normally not checked by hunters because they assume its all someones dump. Now if you go in there to buy rolls you may get 200$ worth of a dump , but there might be one or two good rolls mixed in. More traffic, more people bringing in coin, the more likely to hit a silver dump, if your LUCKY! HH

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do believe small towns produce better cwr, I live in the city and haven't gotten any cwrs. Only pick up boxes, but I'm doing just fine with boxes.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are pros and cons to both. Success depends upon being at the right place at the right time. That could happen in a 1 bank town or a 1000 bank town.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
In my short time observation I have found that the small banks have been more consistent with the 1 or 2 coin teller tray finds but both of the solid roll scores I found in the past week were from big banks, WF & BofA.
It still all comes down to being in the right place at the right time

Last edited:

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are more likely to hear this in a small town bank. " You want what? Oh, just a minute. I've had all these coins just sitting back in the vault for ever. I'd love to get rid of them!" I love it when they say that!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 5 downtown banks in my mid sized city, with an equal number of branches in outlying areas. Have only seen rolls marked by one other local cr hunter, but it seems that all my finds are "right place, right time" discoveries.............

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
There are 5 downtown banks in my mid sized city, with an equal number of branches in outlying areas. Have only seen rolls marked by one other local cr hunter, but it seems that all my finds are "right place, right time" discoveries.............

You are fortunate. I have more than 10 different "marks" that I come across on a regular basis. Both in boxes and in cwr.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all the same... you have to be in the right place at the right time...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a random element to this CRH thing - no matter what anybody says (including me ) Regardless of whether you are searching
boxes , bags , or customer wrapped rolls - and small towns can be good or lousy , same with medium sized cities , and large cities .
the best advise I could give any one would be try it all if you have the time and money to play. Create a system of pick up (purchase)
banks , and a separate group for discarding reject coins - keep these separate from each other! Treat your purchase tellers like gold!
more than anything keep it fun !(as in hobby ) the minute you start taking this too seriously - it will not be worth doing !!

Feb 20, 2007
USA
I think you are more likely to hear this in a small town bank. " You want what? Oh, just a minute. I've had all these coins just sitting back in the vault for ever. I'd love to get rid of them!" I love it when they say that!

That's always a good sign!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right place, right time.

I've had good luck in both small towns and large cities although I think it also depends on the denomination.

I've been to small town banks and been told I was the 5th person that day that asked for halves or the large city banks where I am one of the only ones who ever asks for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread