JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
My good friend Warren Vestal(3rd Digger), who recently passed away, once gave me some great advice concerning pounded Civil War sites. He said, "go to trash" or "go to the road".....he said that people don't like to deal with a lot of trash while detecting, nor do they like tons of cars whizzing by watching them dig, therefore you might find some good relics there.... Yesterday I went to both, a very trashy spot next to a busy 2-lane. My hunt started out the day before in a perfectly cut bean field and I did find a few bullets and a nice South Carolina button there, but things kind of dried up. Yesterday I spent another 4 1/2 hours in the easy digging field, finding 3 more bullets, before putting my small coil on and easing into the trash. Civil War items started appearing about every 10 or 15 targets dug. I ended up with several friction primers and a bunch of bullets and roundballs. The highlight for me was a small U. S. buckle, a little damaged but that's OK.

--JB

Attachments

• IMG_5084.PNG
    IMG_5084.PNG
    514.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5083.PNG
    IMG_5083.PNG
    500.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5052.PNG
    IMG_5052.PNG
    487.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5085.PNG
    IMG_5085.PNG
    516.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5066.jpg
    IMG_5066.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
Upvote 18
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great advise, super hunt...congratulations! :occasion14:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well deserved finds and great advice for all us detectorists no matter what kind of sites we detect

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice .. you saved a bunch of some mighty fine relics!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You did really well sir.

I’m liking all of those friction primers.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My good friend Warren Vestal(3rd Digger), who recently passed away, once gave me some great advice concerning pounded Civil War sites. He said, "go to trash" or "go to the road".....he said that people don't like to deal with a lot of trash while detecting, nor do they like tons of cars whizzing by watching them dig, therefore you might find some good relics there.... Yesterday I went to both, a very trashy spot next to a busy 2-lane. My hunt started out the day before in a perfectly cut bean field and I did find a few bullets and a nice South Carolina button there, but things kind of dried up. Yesterday I spent another 4 1/2 hours in the easy digging field, finding 3 more bullets, before putting my small coil on and easing into the trash. Civil War items started appearing about every 10 or 15 targets dug. I ended up with several friction primers and a bunch of bullets and roundballs. The highlight for me was a small U. S. buckle, a little damaged but that's OK.

--JB

WOW!
You da Man! lol
You did not mention the SC Button , A SC Button is high on my 'To Dig' or ' The Big Gig in the Sky List '.

Ill take that Plate in that condition any day & I still have never dug a friction Primer either.

Nice hunts you have gotten in at the End of 2018.
Thanks for sharing .
Davers

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are a lot of great relics I wish there were some here like that Well done!!!!! Tommy

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some really nice finds bud. Love that button and plate, and you can’t not like the friction primers too

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take an outing like that, damaged buckle and all ! Those are some great finds.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some excellent relics. Pretty cool that you took the time and effort to go where no man has gone before you...'the trashy area'. Sure paid off. Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread