Smaller miners form Dates

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small miners form Dates

That dam small miner's waiver with it's dates ALWAYS gets me. I have a sample so I don't have to remember what the dates they want but with the moving company showing up tomorrow I packed it.

So, for "beginning on September 1, _______ and ending on September 1,________"...... and then "lands in the United States of America on September 1, ___________"

It seems I never can get them right so a little help is greatly appreciated!

ratled

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. beginning on September 1, 2016 and ending on September 1, 2017.
2. and then "lands in the United States of America on September 1, 2016"

Maintenance Fee Waiver (Small Miners Waiver) is for next year so it starts this Sept. 1st through next year.

You must have 10 or fewer claims as of the filing date to be eligible for the Small Miners Waiver so that would be this year.

hope this helps,,,,,, I know,,,, clear as mud!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for jogging the old brain cells, time to get signatures on my association claim.

OP
OP
ratled

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jere

ratled

1. beginning on September 1, 2016 and ending on September 1, 2017.
2. and then "lands in the United States of America on September 1, 2016"

Maintenance Fee Waiver (Small Miners Waiver) is for next year so it starts this Sept. 1st through next year.

You must have 10 or fewer claims as of the filing date to be eligible for the Small Miners Waiver so that would be this year.

hope this helps,,,,,, I know,,,, clear as mud!

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
I am little confused on this process also. I filed my waiver for my claim last year for the first time. Not sure what else I need to do this year other then file it again.

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mu50stang, Waiver by Sept. 1st and Affidavit of Assessment Work by Dec. 31st. The Affidavit must be filed with the County as well.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mu50stang, Waiver by Sept. 1st and Affidavit of Assessment Work by Dec. 31st. The Affidavit must be filed with the County as well.

Affidavit of Assessment Work by Dec. 30th.

Sorry for the shouting but filing with the BLM on December 31 will cause you to lose your claim - every time guaranteed.

Heavy Pans

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some places you have file the affidavit of assessment work or a notice to intent to hold within 30 days of completion of assessment work
or file a document stating you are paying/have paid BLM the maintenance fee with the county recorder. check your state requirements.
some places the county recorders are strict about it and other counties its fine. if they will accept it you're good then get it to BLM by Dec. 30th
don't rely on getting a post mark of Dec. 30th if something happens and gets stamped Dec. 31st you lose your claim.

Last edited:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Affidavit of Assessment Work by Dec. 30th.

Sorry for the shouting but filing with the BLM on December 31 will cause you to lose your claim - every time guaranteed.

Heavy Pans

That's why I file both at the same time before Sept, 1st.....and record the same day, that way its over with!

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
My claims are in AZ. Would I still need to file and intent to hold if I am filing the small miner waiver and the Affidavit of completed work?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, if you are filing an affidavit of assessment work, it shows you are working your claim and documents your "possessory interest".
you can write on your assessment filing that you ether paid the maintenance fee or filed a small miners waver for the coming year (2017)

Yes, on a first year claim file an affidavit of assessment work then write in "filed small miners waver for 2017" and "this notice serves as my intent to hold"
I also include that I did $100 worth of assessment work, I did the work and will do the work each year
that and checking monument and signage, documents your "possessory interest"
get it notarized, filed and stamped with the county recorder, then send certified mail or hand deliver to BLM state office by Dec 30th

Last edited:

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
winners58, Oregon BLM is weird! There interpretation of the exact same laws that govern claims is MUCH different than CA BLM. For instance,,, CA is now saying the FIRST year of a new PLACER claim you should file a Notice of Intent to Hold not an Affidavit of Assessment Work because you paid the fee for the year already.

What ever you do, I don't suggest that you tell either CA or OR BLM that there interpretation is wrong.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only the small miners waver do you need to use the BLM form all other filings as long as they have the required information
can be written on what ever you want, the recorder has standards but will accept anything also (might be a non-standard fee)
a "notice of intent to hold" is the same way, as long as it states "this serves as my notice of intent to hold" and has the claim and number etc..
the difference I've found is with the recorder, recording your claim's "labor" costs less, so it doesn't have anything to do with BLM.

I think California the state wants property tax so you might have to show that money was paid to BLM the first year.???

I would suggest doing it the way that works for you, I see people filing labor for 7- 8 claims on a single page I do mine individually one for each claim.
I dont want to lose a claim and have to re-file everything, so I ask questions from fellow miners and see how they do things,
then get into a routine, this by the date and so on and hopefully hold on to my claims for a long time.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only certain counties in California have a tax on claims

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only certain counties in California have a tax on claims
In Siskiyou county, Ca the threshold is a value of $2000.00 for a claim before they tax you for it, you might get also get a supplemental tax bill even if your claims are valued under $2000.00. My 3 claims are each valued $5 just under the taxable limit, so not taxed. I talked with the Sis,co office about if I needed to inform them with a N.I.H. and they said no, and they also informed me that every April the BLM sends them the list of all active claims.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Anal pak sent every year they asked you to send it all in at once so they could keep it straight easier. Do NOT forget BLM has applied to kill of the SM Exemption and can/will/has in the past billed up "retroactive" fees after we did everything all legal like. I send mine in by 8/15 so they don't screw up worse than always. In 2014 they couldn't find claims held since 92,all legal forms filed and taxes paid on time BUT FS fools also,claims what claims?? sic sic sic-John

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone know where I can find the affidavit of assessment work form that I need to have completed. This is for a claim in AZ. Thanks.

Every State has different requirements for making an affidavit. There are no BLM "forms" you can rely on. Check out your states requirement for a proper affidavit. It's pretty simple but if you get it wrong (as the California BLM did last year) you could lose your claim.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread