smelting gold from sand?

mac75

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have been putting sand into stainless steel cans and heating it in a kiln to about 1600 deg f for 24 hours. after it cools, when i empty the sand from the cans there are heavy gold colored pieces of "stuff" in the bottom. is this gold? and what do i need to do to further refine it?:headbang:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not know if it is gold …. And this is the first time i have heard of this process

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your getting good concentrations of gold from sand, then I'm moving to FL...!! :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try swinging a metal detecter over the stuff in the bottom, see if it tells you that it is metal or not. You could have glass, because heating and melting sand is part of the process of making glass.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have to be mighty good sand to justify the cost.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why are you heating sand? You wound up with "stuff in the bottom" that you think might be gold but you seem surprised by that. What was the reason for heating the sand in the first place?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you heating sand? You wound up with "stuff in the bottom" that you think might be gold but you seem surprised by that. What was the reason for heating the sand in the first place?
I would like to know how he got to 1600 degF..:o

SS

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know how he got to 1600 degF..:o

SS
I can melt aluminum with a wood fire and air assist. He must have map and a good way of controlling it. Even a torch can do it with a rosebud but you could easily evaporate the gold that way. I guess he is thinking and doing which is more than I have done lately. Good post.

I would rather wash the sand in a sluice and pan the the cons. Could you post a picture of the gold please?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold melts several 100 degrees hotter than aluminum. :icon_scratch: Its really hard to get up to the 1200+ degrees F to melt gold. :dontknow: You must have an air assisted forge, just saying. :thumbsup:

Keep it and HH!!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You can Google a guy that claims he processes sand from Home Depot and retrieves gold. Not sure how much or if it's certain sand from a particular area or even if the cost of the sand is more than the gold.
Like Casca says, just sluice and pan.

OP
OP
M

mac75

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, so heres the story. the factory i work in, i am a kiln (gas fired) operator. i pack product into stainless cans and pack sand in around it and vibrate it till its full. i load the cans into the kiln, and fire it. over the course of 24+ hours the temp builds up to in excess of 1650 deg F. after a cooldown period of 12+ hours i flip the cans over to remove the product. i do this over screens so i can recycle the sand. as i stated in my original post, in doing so from the bottom of the cans, (sometimes as many as 1 in 4, sometime only 3 or 4 cans in over 100) there falls out of the bottom chunks, some as big as a dime, most only 1/8" in dia., of gold colored material that is heavy. the dime size pieces weigh more than a quarter. i want to have it tested but haven't had the chance and in the 4 mos that i've been collecting it i have amassed about 7 oz or so. basically what i wanted to know was if it were possible that it might be gold.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have it tested, simple acid test by a jeweler can tell you what you need to know.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd love to see photos of the "gold on the bottom", also it would be cool to see the melted together clump of sand.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ok, so heres the story. the factory i work in, i am a kiln (gas fired) operator. i pack product into stainless cans and pack sand in around it and vibrate it till its full. i load the cans into the kiln, and fire it. over the course of 24+ hours the temp builds up to in excess of 1650 deg F. after a cooldown period of 12+ hours i flip the cans over to remove the product. i do this over screens so i can recycle the sand. as i stated in my original post, in doing so from the bottom of the cans, (sometimes as many as 1 in 4, sometime only 3 or 4 cans in over 100) there falls out of the bottom chunks, some as big as a dime, most only 1/8" in dia., of gold colored material that is heavy. the dime size pieces weigh more than a quarter. i want to have it tested but haven't had the chance and in the 4 mos that i've been collecting it i have amassed about 7 oz or so. basically what i wanted to know was if it were possible that it might be gold.
It has been 4 months what are you waiting for to get it tested??????? You will find out if it is gold by getting it tested…. On here all you are going to get here is a wild guess..And you will still not know..Give us some pictures ...

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You can Google a guy that claims he processes sand from Home Depot and retrieves gold. Not sure how much or if it's certain sand from a particular area or even if the cost of the sand is more than the gold.
Like Casca says, just sluice and pan.
Yes but he was panning the sand from Home Depot … And he said you will not find any gold in play sand it has been processed to much .. But the other sand he finds gold in ..

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, I use to do enameling. That is the melting of colored glass to make jewelry and I did some glass 'paintings' also. The glass melts close to sand which is 1800 degrees. It is a sudden process where the glass suddenly melts and glazes over. I had a special, front loading kilm that I bought for the process.
It maxed out at about 2000 degrees.
In the situation described I would be more inclined to run the sand in my Gold Magic wheel to seperate out the gold. It would probably be a faster process.
Note, brass melts just below glass, I know, I tried to enamel some and it turned out to be a big mess. Also there is glass available with different melting points for different metals.
Frank five star.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mac75

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so, i had it tested. it tested for 22k and held. the place i took it to is sending a "sample" to the people they use to smelt/purify to see how much gold it contains. I'm hoping for good results as I have 18 oz of it. woohoo:occasion14:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something about this is fishy.:icon_scratch:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you! WTG! That's creativity in action!
Where the Saco River empties into the ocean up here there is supposed to be gold in the sand.....mmmm!

OP
OP
M

mac75

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just saying what the "gold" buyer told me. but i was always under the impression that when "panning" for gold you scoop up sand and gravel and with water in the pan swish it about to separate the gold from other stuff. thats what made me inclined to believe what i had could possibly be gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread