smelting gold

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello folks, question if I have a full oz of flour gold and I try to melt it into a small bar will it still b an oz in weight or will I need more in gold or will the flour gold burn up and evaporate ??? this is the size of my flour gold. That's a finger nail file point flour gold-8.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is all flour gold the glare you see those pieces ain't that big every SPEC YOU SEE is a spec of gold

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you melt 1 oz. of placer gold, you will get 1 oz. of melted placer gold. If you smelt 1 oz. of placer gold (remove the impurities) you will get the difference between 1 oz. and the weight of the impurities removed of pure gold.

OP
OP
G

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello spillercanyon thanks for the info now 1-thing you used two different words ((melt)) and (( smelt )) it looks like they mean the same to a point so melting all the gold together is melt and if I'm smelting I'm melting the gold by extracting the impurities right --- man I don't won't to seem dum but by melting it wouldn't the impurities come out anyways ?

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hello spillercanyon thanks for the info now 1-thing you used two different words ((melt)) and (( smelt )) it looks like they mean the same to a point so melting all the gold together is melt and if I'm smelting I'm melting the gold by extracting the impurities right --- man I don't won't to seem dum but by melting it wouldn't the impurities come out anyways ?

Smelting is a chemical process; melting is a physical one (like ice melting; still water but now liquid). To smelt means to reduce the oxides and other impurities to a slag with a flux that helps that to occur. Your smelted gold is melted; which just means you heated it and the rest of the stuff high enough to change physical states from solid to liquid. After the smelting process, the much denser gold (heavier) goes to the bottom of your mold (you can get for about $10 and up) and the slag floats to the top. You can knock the slag off after it cools and you will have the gold left. Depending on how much impurities, you have will determine your loss.

This is just a quick response; silver, copper, and platinum complicate things. HTH

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when you go to sell the gold. Does it need to be smelted or melted? I'm assuming people want to buy smelted gold correct?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So when you go to sell the gold. Does it need to be smelted or melted? I'm assuming people want to buy smelted gold correct?

No. A "we buy gold" shop would want it melted into a solid block, or a jeweler but many others want it as-is. Selling to your local club, prospector shop or even on eBay will get you more $/oz than a corner store that buys gold...and all of those buyers will want it in original form.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you do smelt you are adding expense and the effort will probably not increase the net amount that you receive over what you would get for just selling it as raw placer gold to a reputable buyer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions