Smelting jewelry into bars?

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's V3I, Garrett's AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have a link or know how to smelt, say, 10k or 14k and seperate the pure gold off? I have ALOT of gold that I have accumulated over the years that I want to melt down into pure bars, but have no clue what is needed. Thanks for the info!

P.s. Many people have told me just to sell it as scrap, but I don't want to sell it, just get it into bar form and save it for my son. Thanks again!

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
you can sell it as scrap and buy gold coins or bars, it can send to a refiner and get your share back as gold metal,
or you can go to the inter internet and learn how to refine gold forget smelting you need to remove the base metal and them you melt the gold.
The WWW.Gold Refining Forum.com is a great place to go and Read Read Read and learn, it takes time to learn and there are no good short cuts.
Mike

OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike, I may have worded it wrong but yes, I want to melt the jewelry and pour it into molds. I read that you use borax to separate the other metals. I really wanna do this more as an extension of our hobby, than for pure profit. I buy gold coins when I can, but all this jewelry is useless to me, but I have no desire to sell it at half value to a middle man, when I can just melt it down and keep it for my son some day. Also, is there a place to send your melted gold ingots to have the purity tested and stamped? And can you even seperate jewelry into .999 or 24k gold? Thanks, and I will start reading that forum you linked. Thanks again!

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
Jewerly has why to much base metal for Broax to be of any help alot of the jewelry will be 40 50 or 60 percent base metal.
you could melt into a Dore Bar but it it would not look like gold the base metals will oxidize on the outside of the bar.
I would not sell to a middle man either but send to a refinery will should get at least 95 percent of your gold value or e-bay you will get about 105 percent but the fees will take 10 percent of that.
Looks up Jewler Dave here on Treasure Net i think he still refines for a percentage and have heard he's very fair.
To realy do it yourself you need acids and refine to remove all but trace amounts of base metal.
Mike

OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, from what I was reading on that forum, it's alot more complicated than just melt it and pour.lol.. So I guess I will send it out. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread