Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
today was a very good day - a super day for me! It started out with a Draped Bust copper (no date). Heavy green patina on coin which I removed with baking soda.

Then I found a beautiful 1901 Barber Quarter. This made my day - when I wiped the dirt and saw that Liberty head and date! 1st one I've ever found!

It was a very banner day!?

continued next post....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then I got a nickel signal 11-05 and dug. I recovered
a gold plated diamond brooch at about 6" deep! Two diamonds were in my dirt pile and I still found them. They glittered like gold in sunlight. I looked at them with 10X loop and they look real to me. All 9 of them!

And some grape shot!

awesome day detecting!~ :)

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Nice goin O7. That quarter is a beauty. Too bad the Large cent is so deteriorated. Looks like a lot that I find here in Vermont. It must have been in a real wet spot. The copper just doesn't hold up. That broch must have made your day. let us know after you have it examined if they are real diamonds. The only bad thing about a day like that, is it makes all the others pale in comparrison....Lance

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
It will be difficult to improve on that day but I'm sure you can do it.
Good luck.
BRD

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ocean 7, just by the shape of those "diamonds" I can tell you they are not real. (Don't mean to bust your buuble). I have been fooled by tons of this stuff in the past. Seems like everybody out in CA whears what I call junk jewelry. They like to put that fake stuff on to show some flash. It gets really disgusting sometimes when you find a really nice gold ring with a big stone, only to find out they cheaped out on the stone.
This shape is very characteristic of the "stones" they put into costume jewelry. If you notice, they have a triangular shape on the top going to a flat pavillion that is smaller than the width of the "diamond".
Anytime you see this, they will be fake.
Diamonds are cut large at the top and taper to a point at the bottom with the facets underneath the stone, not on top of it at such an angle as these are.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah based on several other opinions - it looks like they are not diamonds. Probably Victorian era costume jewelry. Thanks for the tips and way ta go's!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread