Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working for over 32 years pot never caused me to lose any drive. Haven't smoked in 9 years due to fact I drive company vehicle....

I have dozens and dozens of friends who smoked and it never caused them to lose their drive and I'm talking professionals as well, lawyers, bank vp, company directors of Fortune 500 companies...

If they lose their drive they never had much or any drive to begin with.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working for over 32 years pot never caused me to lose any drive. Haven't smoked in 9 years due to fact I drive company vehicle....

I have dozens and dozens of friends who smoked and it never caused them to lose their drive and I'm talking professionals as well, lawyers, bank vp, company directors of Fortune 500 companies...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

My grandfather and great uncles drove coal trucks with a bottle under the seat! You should of heard the stories! Non of them were ever in a wreck! This was years and years ago of course!

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

I can only speak from personal experience of watching good employees become worthless burdens on payroll.

They start out moving at near normal speed, then they barely move. The next thing to go is their hearing: "Bobby, I need you to check such and such at this customer's shop." is ignored. The other alternative is he'll go but drive around for 30 - 60 minutes trying to score a bit more pot.

That is why we had to put a GPS monitor on all of our trucks. More than one employee has been caught driving the same circles over and over ... in one case for 4 hours.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm only speaking from 44 years of knowledge on it.....

Not saying you didn't have issues with employees, saying they never had much drive to begin with...

As I said I have been clean over 9 years but I have friends who still smoke and are productive members of society. ....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Back to the insurance issue.
Let me equate it to car insurance. They advertise accident forgiveness! What they really mean is, everyone else will share the cost of your poor driving. They aren't going to loose anything! Frank...

As far as drugs, there was plenty out there in my younger days like LSD, POT, Bennies, etc. But I always thought more of my health than a moment of pleasure. Just my thought. Frank..
. 111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, beenies, haven't heard that term in a long time sir.....

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Umm must be before my time I'll Google it.
Car insurance, bleh I've been driving almost 3 decades, and never once crashed or had a ticket, yet I pay more premiums than my brother that has multiple DUIs..why ? Because in my state they judge you by your credit score and I have none!!
They say its an accurate predictor of those who file claims..Bullshiznit!!!

Mike

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think, from reading some of the replies, that "abuse" is being considered the equivalent of "addiction." Actually, they are not quite the same. "Addiction", from what I have researched, is a physical need, whereas "abuse" is mainly a psychological need, but can be both psychological and physical. Addiction only comes into play when the human body requires it, abuse comes into play when the mental capacity requires it.

As far as cost, they can't even calculate the cost of alcohol related events, a certainty that it far exceeds that of smoking when one considers all of the cost associated to just DWI events, etc., ......here again, this is tax payer money at work as well. Lets consider the cost of the war on drugs....again, this is tax payer money. So again, "why just smoking, and not these other very costly pre-existing addictions?" Is catching cancer from second hand smoke any worse then getting run over and killed by a drunk driver? Apparently, many Americans think so. Where does, or should, "second hand effect" begin and end? :dontknow:

PS: I got your PM TH, total understand. It's all good. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think, from reading some of the replies, that "abuse" is being considered the equivalent of "addiction." Actually, they are not quite the same. "Addiction", from what I have researched, is a physical need, whereas "abuse" is mainly a psychological need, but can be both psychological and physical. Addiction only comes into play when the human body requires it, abuse comes into play when the mental capacity requires it.

As far as cost, they can't even calculate the cost of alcohol related events, a certainty that it far exceeds that of smoking when one considers all of the cost associated to just DWI event......here again, this is tax payer money at work as well. Lets consider the cost of the war on drugs....again, this is tax payer money. So again, "why just smoking, and not these other very costly pre-existing addictions?" Is catching cancer from second hand smoke any worse then getting run over and killed by a drunk drive? Apparently, many Americans think so. Where does, or should, "second hand effect" begin and end? :dontknow:

The war on drugs is a very interesting topic! It actually caused more of a problem in society! I saw a lecture on it from a Burkley?(If I remember right) web site! It had to do with supply and demand. It was a very interesting lecture! I know I side tracked again! I just watched it not too long ago and never really thought about it till then!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The " we just wasted billions of taxpayers money " war ?

Mike
You made an interesting point about auto insurance, as example and in support of your point, at the time of my divorce I was 35, no speeding tickets or accidents. My ex was almost 10 years younger, three or four speeding tickets and a couple of accidents. When the divorce was final my rate went up because I lost my two car discount and also because I apparently "fell into the ranks of a single male in a high risk age group." On the other hand, her rate went down a tad. To this day I still have never received a speeding ticket or had an accident but my premiums still go up a little every year.

Sure, this is off topic, and yet a portion of it isn't.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was smoking 2 packs a day plus when I finally quit. When I retired I was able to add 10 months to my service time for sick leave I didn't use. Why should I have paid more for my medical insurance if it wasn't causing me to call in sick all the time? When I did call in sick it was usually to goof off. There were 3 women in the office that had worked there for years, didn't smoke but yet had only a handful of sick leave hours on the books. Maybe they should raise your premiums based on your actual use of medical services and not your lifestyle. Of course if everyone else has to pay for your medical because you choose to not work, that's just something we'll never be able to do anything about as long as the freebies keep flowing.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Umm must be before my time I'll Google it.
Car insurance, bleh I've been driving almost 3 decades, and never once crashed or had a ticket, yet I pay more premiums than my brother that has multiple DUIs..why ? Because in my state they judge you by your credit score and I have none!!
They say its an accurate predictor of those who file claims..Bullshiznit!!!

Mike

My thoughts precisely! I think the bureau that regulates insurance companies should have a rule that rates should be based on accident records only. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your already paying for people who don't want to work, but now men are covered if they get pregnant and women are covered for prostate issues.

Every woman and MAN on lucifercare pays for maternity care doesn't matter it their tubes are tied, past child bearing age or can never ever have children or if they are a man and not one man in history has ever gotten pregnant.

Women are covered for prostrate cancer even though THEY DONT HAVE PROSTATES.......

Just part of the idiotic logic of the Dem's shining triumph of lucifercare......

Remember this come Nov 2014..... I will be flooding all social media outlets with this come election time..

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

As far as cost, they can't even calculate the cost of alcohol related events, a certainty that it far exceeds that of smoking when one considers all of the cost associated to just DWI events, etc., ......here again, this is tax payer money at work as well. Lets consider the cost of the war on drugs....again, this is tax payer money. So again, "why just smoking, and not these other very costly pre-existing addictions?" Is catching cancer from second hand smoke any worse then getting run over and killed by a drunk driver? Apparently, many Americans think so. Where does, or should, "second hand effect" begin and end? :dontknow:

Abuse leads to addiction! I don't smoke, drink, or take drugs, but I still am forced to pay there bills.
Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

I

inoc

Started off with casual abuse for me

Now an addict and just can't stop metal detecting

Lucky my habit pays for itself

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Started off with casual abuse for me

Now an addict and just can't stop metal detecting

Lucky my habit pays for itself

Much better habit. Mine is spending too much time building and working on computers ... between gaming, web design, and forums --- little time for much else.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is funny how the word "addiction" can apply to many "non-medical" activities. My cousin started jogging some years back, decided he really liked it, started jogging every day, then sometimes twice a day, the miles were really stacking up as he continued to grow thinner and thinner and thinner. Finally his brothers had a talk with him about it and he admitted that he just couldn't stop, house was even full of Jogging & running mags, etc. Eventually he got sick, sick enough that it finally scared him. Today he looks good and he feels great. He must be in his mid-sixties now and he will still tell you, "I fight the urge to start jogging again all the time." People get addicted to all sorts of "unhealthy" things to the point that it becomes abusive. Just look at video games and even texting. So......:dontknow:

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the "nanny state/" via "taxation" ---anything the state doesn't want you to do or that will "cost them" down the road to take care of you for you doing it -- "tax it" , tax it heavily --as a means of control to get you to either not do it at all --or == make you "pay" the cost of doing it "upfront" so the govt gets the funds to "take care" of you "upfront", (medical care of "smokers" cost a lot )-- so fine / tax them "upfront" via huge taxes on tobacco products for their "future medical care" .-- but at what point does it stop > --smoking , drinking , over eating any and all "vices" -- soon the state will run your whole life --what you eat , if you smoke ,drink, ect,ect,ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions