Smyth Creek California Gold Prospecting-Season One

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one nice tablespoon! Can't wait to see the rest. Good work keep it up!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I decided to call the area I just finished mining "Horseshoe Hole". I got the idea when I was mapping out my holes and it looked just like a horse shoe, with the open end facing the creek. While that area is done, the area that feeds it is in need of testing. I won't be running out of ground anytime soon there, just hope it stays hot or hotter.

I sluiced my material from my last trip about a little less than a week ago. Even tho I tried three or four level changes, I would still find gold in the end of the sluice. I found it ironic that every time I checked the sluice, I would check at the end instead of the top. The other Jeff and I discussed the issue and water flow may be the culprit. My next "build" will be a screen cage for the pump and I also need to see if anything is in the impeller. It didn't seem to matter how fast or slow it was fed...the riffles fill with fine brown sands and once filled, the gold flows out. SO, with a four inch drop I would clean out the sluice every time it got full AND do that three times before I got all the gold that I could see. Eventually I was left with 2 gallons of material.

Yesterday, the rains stopped for six hours and I got busy classifying the dirt. I got a 5 gl bucket and filled it with water and a couple drops of Jet Dry. I set my 12 classifier on top and shoveled in a trowel full. Then I used a hand held sprayer from the garden hose using just enough water to rinse everything carefully down. What happens right off? The hose that connects to the hose reel blew out at the fitting. I made a quick trip to Ace in town, got both ends replaced with new fittings and got back to work. It's not really like "work" tho. A few of the things I really liked was:

The job itself. If done gently, it goes quickly and it's...well fun.
Try as I might, I could not find ANY gold in the classifier. I did find a couple that coulda been tiny pickers, but my wife's bionic eyes revealed they were just purty rocks. Of course I'll MD and pan what was screened out, but it looks like the 12 is ideal for my material. BTW, a 12 mesh hole is about the size of a paper match cut in half. The head of the match would not go thru. Another way to look at it is a ball point pen head (not just the tip) would pass thru.
And oh yeah...I LOVE the fact I won't have to pan all that gold-less cra* out of the gold bearing paydirt.

So I was left with a little less than a gallon that needs to be panned. Just looking and shaking, I'm not seeing a lot of flakes (maybe cuz I already cherry picked?) Idk but we'll see. The rains have let up for a spell so I should know soon.
Heavy pans to you all!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It sounds like that water flow is the problem. You should not be packing the riffles with light materials with that much drop. Keep us updated. Good luck.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It sounds like you're figuring things out quite well.

If you can see the gold in small samples like you're doing, that's great dirt!

Digging in among tree roots is always a huge zero on the fun scale, but the roots make a good trap, so, roots are both good and bad, a true paradox from a prospecting point of view.

I'd widen your prospect hole and run a larger sample. Is there any way you can get water to the excavation site so you can run a high-banker? That would be a slick way to run a test for sure, rather than packing it all out. You could also try to put together a recirculating system, but that means you have to pack the water in, so heavy packing has got you either way.

All the best, and keep the updating a comin'!

Lanny

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, thanks for reading and posting. I originally built my high banker to be used on site because yes there is water there year round. That was before I realized the utterly ridiculous CA laws prevent everything except pans and small hand tools and even then they tell you when and where too. I think a pick and a vac would work nicely but I need both. Delnorter was kind enough to offer to let me use his but if I get equipment seized, I'd rather it be my own. :angry4:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff great work. You are becoming an awesome miner!

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, it's actually federal laws which are the primary obstacles to our mining these national forest lands locally. There is of course the California ban on dredging.

Mike

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are correct Mike. And the feds tell the State/Forest Service to police it. For sure no claims to be had in the Six River area, but the list of do's/dont's I got came from the Gasquet FS not the feds. Seems like it could be challenged, right? I don't pick fights but not scared of em either.:thumbsup:

Tyvm Joe:notworthy:

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
It really sucks that so much of that area is closed to mineral entry Jeff! With all the gold around there you and Mike could really be going nuts. If Brandon ever gets that case settled, the ban on dredging just might be a thing of the past. Like Clay said, you two just might have to take up golf! hint hint

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The lack of dredging in the area since 2010 is exciting...holding my breath.

BTW, I did manage to get a good working knowledge of the BLM and Land Matters sites...seems my head functions better when my back isn't kicking my arse. And then I took a look in SW OR and my territory and found all kinds of new ground. I'm still a newbie at this so I'll get with you before I put any boots on the ground. My goal for the rest of the year is to film my current spot after a good amount of rain has come in. Pretty sure the spot where I've been digging will remain dry. Then, pan the last gallon or so from the sluice. Here's a pic from the "good" camera...top vial is my take for 2013 (including Elkie13's paydirt from AK). If you look closely, her's is heavier and chunkier gold and is in the center of the vial. The next is the .4 grams I got so far from Horse Shoe Hole and the bottom vial is what I got from my last trip there so far.

Once I get the last cons panned, I'll weigh the total for 2014. Then I have at least 20 pounds of cons that has to be classified from 1/8 to -12...Then you and Dizzy will be getting a "care package" from yours truly. Anyway, here's the pic...

Hmmmm :dontknow: guess I won't post a pic...upload keeps failing. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
there we go...file was too large.

12814.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This year's gold looks really dirty, have you tried soaking it in vinegar or brick cleaner or something?

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2013 gold came out of sand and gravel. 2014 came out of clay. Another factor/problem is my eye sight. Karen mentioned it looked dirty too, but was only able to convince me after the trio vial pic was taken with her Nikon D5300 (not even Macro). My smart phone camera is a 3mp and apparently so is my eyesight. In my defense, some is dull because it is concave and if the light provided (12 volt and flash light) doesn't hit it just right, it doesn't flash. In her defense, there are things in the vial that definitely don't belong.

Are you talking about just a vinegar soak, more classification, both? I made it 57 years w/o glasses but looks like I need some prospecting glasses. The GOOD news out of all this is my super cons are probably richer than I thought, after I classify it to -12 of course. Good eye Kevin. And the miller table creeps closer to the top of the list...along with some RX store reading glasses.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2013 gold came out of sand and gravel. 2014 came out of clay. Another factor/problem is my eye sight. Karen mentioned it looked dirty too, but was only able to convince me after the trio vial pic was taken with her Nikon D5300 (not even Macro). My smart phone camera is a 3mp and apparently so is my eyesight. In my defense, some is dull because it is concave and if the light provided (12 volt and flash light) doesn't hit it just right, it doesn't flash. In her defense, there are things in the vial that definitely don't belong.

Are you talking about just a vinegar soak, more classification, both? I made it 57 years w/o glasses but looks like I need some prospecting glasses. The GOOD news out of all this is my super cons are probably richer than I thought, after I classify it to -12 of course. Good eye Kevin. And the miller table creeps closer to the top of the list...along with some RX store reading glasses.

At 51 I have to wear reading glasses when I do finish panning so yes go get some glasses :)

Out of respect, yes I was just suggesting a vinegar (or stronger acid) soak as that will clean your gold and to be more direct: reveal any fools gold for what it is.

If you've been doing your finish panning without reading glasses at your/our age, I can promise there's more fine gold in your cons. (Hope you kept all those heavies!) get some reading glasses and a set of 30 and 50 mesh classifiers. That and some panning practice is all you need to get that fine gold!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, the vinegar soak worked wonders! It took 24 hours or so. I'll post the "after" pic when I can. I can see the fine sands too, using my new 1.50x reading glasses!8-)
Thanks!

P70/Sherry, just ordered some suction tweezers. I think I'm going to like that better than my Q-tips even.:icon_thumleft:
Thanks!

AZViper. You are the man! :notworthy: Keith has generously offered to build me a millers table just the way I want it! That is just awesome of you and one Christmas I won't forget!
Thanks!

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct Mike. And the feds tell the State/Forest Service to police it. For sure no claims to be had in the Six River area, but the list of do's/dont's I got came from the Gasquet FS not the feds. Seems like it could be challenged, right? I don't pick fights but not scared of em either.:thumbsup:

Tyvm Joe:notworthy:

Hi Jeff, sorry for the delay in writing you back. Busy working and up in Portland, Oregon today visiting a young niece just admitted to the hospital with leukemia.

The Gasquet Forest Service are the feds. They are primarily the policing agency up here, although state fish and game wardens will also take a poke at you. You can still file claims in the Six Rivers National Forest (it's a big NF), Just not in the Smith River National Recreation Area.

A few years back the Forest Service did not allow any prospecting / mining without a pre-existing claim, not even panning. After a few of us raised hell with the local politicians we were allowed, by the Forest Service, small scales prospecting with sluices and pans. Since then, this has devolved down to pans and small hand tools, like garden trowels and such. No long handled tools and no sluices.

It's been a while since I read the actual act which created this National Recreation Area, but as I recall the language left plenty of leeway for strict enforcement / interpretation against any mineral gathering activity at all.

There sure is a lot of remote country though isn't there? I'm still planning on stopping by Jeff. Been busy keeping Highway 199 clear of trees and rocks.

Mike

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"You can still file claims in the Six Rivers National Forest (it's a big NF), Just not in the Smith River National Recreation Area."

A very good distinction Mike and one which I had overlooked. When I moved here in 2012, the CC FS said flat out I could not do anything in the NF but the 6 Riv Nat Rec area did allow pans and small hand tools.

Thanks for all your hard work on the roads, especially with our storms rumbling thru like a revolving door. Speaking of doors, you know mine is always open to ya. Come when you can...I'll even let you help me dial in my new miller table next year! BYOC (Bring Your Own Cons) :headbang:

Sorry to hear about your niece Mike. Hope things get better for all concerned.
Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just an update to let everyone know Karen and I did make it up to Smyth Creek Two a week ago today, the day after our latest and greatest storm. I was eager to take a video and pictures of water levels/actions/flows, etc there.

On the way up, we stopped by the local Rangers office and met a couple of really nice folks. Karen was looking for a certain mushroom book and I wanted to feel out a couple of things for prospecting the area. Turns out, not much has changed or pending to be changed for that matter. I had a couple of procedural questions and basically he said no sluices (old info) and they primarily don’t want you digging into the bank, stream bed only. That actually gives us a lot of ground to work with. Water levels come up 20 to 30 feet at times. It was my most pleasant visit there to date.

We continued on and saw several spectacular waterfalls right next to the road. We rolled up to the site about 1:30 pm. I’ll admit I was surprised that most of my area was under water...ankle to waist deep. Where I was digging is a good 10 feet above the autumn water line. I could see all my new gold traps that I left behind were still intact so…YEA!

With still a couple of hours of daylight left Karen and I went sightseeing, site scouting and picture taking. She got some great shots of several large falls. Unfortunately, using Karen’s “good” camera gives me a problem when I go to upload them. I get “file is too large”. I fixed that once by accident but not tonight.

As we were about to leave for home, we ran into Mike (Delnorter) in his CalTrans truck. We chatted for a couple of minutes…discussed what’s been happening and what looks promising for next season.

Next season…hmmm…one more day left…wow…went fast...again.

I missed out on lots of prospecting opportunities this year. And I learned one important thing …you have to MAKE time for yourself. Getting out gets me grounded and happy. How many more summers do you have left?

Anyway, I got the pics I needed and the end of Season One is at hand. I’ll just pick up here on this same thread for 2015. And…very good things are already happening for Season 2 including:

With the flooding, I think Horseshoe hole will either be a BOOM or a bust in 2015.

I now have in my full possession, Karen’s 6 year old Canon Point and Shoot which takes excellent videos and pictures AND I can upload those here on TN.

I have recovered at least .45 grams and still have cons to pan out of about a gallon.

I have a custom built AZViper Miller Table nearing completion, which I can use soon as I classify well over 20 pounds of gold bearing dirt that I have.

Building a screen cage for the High Banker pump.

I’ve got a serious grasping knowledge of map building and reading and...

Started on basic geology rock/mineral ID. Exciting stuff!

Thanks to all the old and new friends I have made here on TN. Too many to name for sure. However… and I may misspell some and leave out some more but the newer folks that have blessed us with their time, knowledge, wisdom and dedication? A very sincere Thank You goes out to:
Clay Diggins,
Bejay,
Underburden,
Reed Lukens...
The list goes on. Point is you have had a profound impact on all of our futures here as prospectors and miners…right here in these very threads. I see only positive things for us in the coming years. Not something I could say at all in 2013.

I'm glad I could share my 2014 season with you. A season much better than the last and predominantly because of a great number of folks right here.
Wishing everyone a safe and prosperous 2015.
Jeff

happy dance.jpg images (1).jpg images.jpg download.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And you thought the FS was tough!

Mother Nature kicked me off my site on Smyth Creek 2 indefinitely. A major rock slide occurred downstream from my spot and water levels raised 4 to 5 feet behind it. I checked two weeks later with no rain and the site remained completely under water. Now...storm bands with heavy rains/strong winds are hitting us pretty good. After this round of storms (yesterday thru this coming Tuesday) the situation there will only get worse. Anyway, my choices are pretty clear. Since it is doubtful I will be able to get on the ground there again even in the fall, it's time to look elsewhere. I already have a couple to look at (thanks to Land Matters) and in the meantime will complete some of the projects I mentioned before.

Good luck to all. Looking forward to your stories this year.
Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread