Snail Dig Finds

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my dig site today. The hunters, holidays, and cold weather have slowed me down. Never found anything for the first hour. Then the snails appeared. There was globs of them stacked up well over 50 of them plus some mussel shells and charcoal. The drilled piece is 1.5 inches. And the bone bead was vertical when I found it. The other piece seems to be the tip of something. Plus the rocks I found. Those are all around 2 inches and the one looks like a preform Ft. Ancient that they used as a knife. I have found 3 of the spike looking things. Thanks for viewing.

Attachments

• wild w 001.jpg
    wild w 001.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 109
  • wild w 003.jpg
    wild w 003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Catherine..... especially that t-drill and that drilled bears tooth..........................GTP(Chris)

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Wow! A drilled tooth would have made my day. Nice finds all the way around the clock today. Thank you for sharing!!

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. The t-drill GTP is just like the others....three sided and they all will stand on end. Plus one of the 3 edges is always worked.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to find a drilled bear tooth.That one is perfect. What a good day. The t-drill is it just common to this one site ? That is unusual. Great days hunt! We have a youth hunt this weekend and that is the very worst time to be out but after that back to the fields. Going to be a great year for you it looks like.
HH
TnMtns

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those are some nice finds. Thanks for sharing.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:, Absolutely Nice Finds! I see you found another ''drilled'' tooth, Cool. And a nice gouge and drill.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digging has got to be hard,looks like you did very well though

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Love that drilled tooth, that is a super find. I've had a gator tooth given to me, and a couple of bear teeth that were just a few years old, that I guess dried out, I don't know what caused it for sure, but they split and fell apart. I'm wondering if a tooth as old as yours needs to have something done to stabilize it, so that the change from the ground to inside a dry house won't cause it to do the same as mine. That would be tragic.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
did you save any of those snails? how big are they

i ask cuz we find lots of gastropod snail shells with a cut mark on them so they could be used as bawbles or strung on threads

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I will have to mix up some Gomer for the tooth/bead.. The last one I found started to split where the line is. I saved one of the snail shells, but i didn't bring it back. They may have used them to make pottery besides eating them. With all the charcoal around them it appears they cooked them. Weather is going to be warm today, but my arm is hurting. I take celebrex right after digging. It is a miracle drug for sure. TnMountain I have three of those spike looking rocks. I will post them all as I am curious if anyone else has found one.

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my finds are Ft. Ancient/Hopewell. However I have found some Archaic artifact also digordie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread