Snake Bite Kit Demo

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about EVERYONE needs one of these when prospecting, even though only a few carry them.
(Last week I was talking to a dredger when a copperhead swam past us in the creek.)
The ones that do carry them, often don't know how to use them.
So, figured I would throw it in.
Who knows........maybe someday it will help someone.

Skip to the 4:00 minute mark in the video.
It's only about a minute or two long.
Doc

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do more damage than help,ask any doc in snake country and he'll tell ya to forget it as cutting veins,arteries,ligaments and bleeding to death is more dangerous than the bite. Known dozens bit,no bfd as a simply tournacut works fine,just release pressure every 5 minutes and go see a doc ASAP. Not cobra venom or sa 2 step killers jus' a lousy american rattler-John

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why the first thing I say is you NEVER do any cutting.
The NEW vacuum kits are proven somewhat effective if used quickly and on certain snakes.
It mainly is for use on rattlers, but remaining clam and getting help is the best next step.
While they only remove a small amount of the venom they can help on large bites and must be used quickly.
The best treatment is antivenin and getting to the hospital.

Guess I should add this too........

National Institute for Health

1. Keep the person calm, reassuring them that bites can be effectively treated in an emergency room.
Restrict movement, and keep the affected area below heart level to reduce the flow of venom.
2. If you have a pump suction device (such as that made by Sawyer), follow the manufacturer's directions.
3. Remove any rings or constricting items because the affected area may swell. Create a loose splint to help restrict movement of the area.
4. If the area of the bite begins to swell and change color, the snake was probably poisonous.
5. Monitor the person's vital signs -- temperature, pulse, rate of breathing, and blood pressure -- if possible.
If there are signs of shock (such as paleness), lay the person flat, raise the feet about a foot, and cover the person with a blanket.
6. Get medical help right away.
7. Bring in the dead snake only if this can be done safely. Do not waste time hunting for the snake, and do not risk another bite if it is
not easy to kill the snake. Be careful of the head when transporting it -- a snake can actually bite for several hours after it's dead (from a reflex).

Do NOT allow the person to become over-exerted. If necessary, carry the person to safety.
Do NOT apply a tourniquet.
Do NOT apply cold compresses to a snake bite.
Do NOT cut into a snake bite with a knife or razor.
Do NOT try to suck out the venom by mouth.
Do NOT give the person stimulants or pain medications unless a doctor tells you to do so.
Do NOT give the person anything by mouth.
Do NOT raise the site of the bite above the level of the person's heart.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There have been studies that support the possibility of relief from snake and spider bites by sticking the effected area on a lawnmower spark plug.
That falls into the category of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. Not gonna happen on my own free will, someone is gonna have to push me.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Doc.

GittyRivers

Aug 2, 2013
Grants Pass Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter tracker IV, and now Bounty Hunter Gold Digger and Bounty Hunter PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you very good information.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know if I'd try the suction bit, but would definitely add a
tourniquet above the bite, if possible, and then [calmly] haul arse
for the nearest medical facility.

Another option is to move up to NW Washington....there aren't
any poisonous snakes this side of the Cascades...8-)

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Great advice!
Thanks!

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We carry snake kits in our packs, i always figure something is better than nothing, most times cant get a cell signal or miles out over rough desert terrains from our truck.
god forbid it ever happens to one of us, green mojave or a big rock rattler bite would most likley prove fatal out here in the desert, and surley would be a great suffering one would not want experience or see happen to a person.

good idea be prepared.
GT....................

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
Goldhog, I carry the Sawyer Extractor kits and keep Hosers avice in mind. It helped me with a spider bite in CA and I used it on a couple of people with unknown insect bites down south. We started carrying them in case of bee stings, since a couple of friends are allergic
Sawyer Extractor Pump Kit at REI.com

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend got tagged on the finger by a copperhead. It swelled so fast it split the skin. He lost his finger. He was lucky. Nasty business snake bites Stay very calm get out quick and notify hospital you are coming in with a bite victim so they are ready with the shots. Be safe out there!

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was originally told about this above treatment by someone who handled rattlers for many years, after my own rattler bite:

A short number of years back a friend and I were out hiking when we came across about a two foot rattler. Handling all sorts of non-venomous snakes without getting bit since I was a little boy, I get a stick and pin it's head down so that I can get a hold of it behind the head. Now my friend is freaking out I would even try this. I assured him I knew exactly what I was dong. The snake was quite at ease with being picket up and held, until it had an opportunity to sink one of it's fangs full depth in the tip of my middle finger. My friend became almost hysterical. "Oh my god, Oh my god, I told you not to mess with that thing. You've got to get to the hospital, NOW! Oh my god."

I assured him its not a big deal, I would be fine. I'll just suck the venom out and we'll finish our hike. He said something to the affect: Oh my god, there's no way. You're going to the hospital.

I started sucking on the bite for a bit while reassuring him I would be fine. Just about the time he was easing up on the hospital talk, I fell to the ground and started flopping around. He just FREAKED! I gave it a moment than stood up and told him I was just messing with him. Talk about PISSED off. He chewed me a new one using language seldom heard from his mouth, storming past me and headed to the truck.

I got him calmed down... eventually. And now when we're out hiking with others, we'll tell of that snake bite incident and everybodies laughing ...even him.

As for the bite, it left my finger with a some major discomfort for a day or so. Like getting your finger smashed between a couple of good size rocks. Down in the depth of the bite, a little black dot could be seen through the skin. And as this black dot worked it's way to the tip of the finger over next three or so weeks, the skin just kept peeling away. After the heeling, not even a mark.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Don't know if I'd try the suction bit, but would definitely add a
tourniquet above the bite, if possible, and then [calmly] haul arse
for the nearest medical facility.

Another option is to move up to NW Washington....there aren't
any poisonous snakes this side of the Cascades...8-)

Yeah, but you got that crazy enviro nut MicK Dodge runnin around barefoot and nekked and eatin bear poop!

Olympic Mountains probably don't have any gold,and it never stops raining! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions