Snake Bites

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
Just some general information--saw a couple requests---snake bite kits are available on the market but most Doctors do not recommend them. I do not make any recommendations either, this is just some general information.

SNAKE BITE Emergency Procedures:

NOTE: Venom from a poisonous snake bite travels through the lymph system. Motion will speed the flow - hence it is most important that the victim lay down and remain calm.

SYMPTOMS: - Usually two small puncture marks in the skin
- Burning pain and local swelling
- Area around bite discolors to purple or green
- Dry feeling in mouth

TREATMENT:

Regardless of which First Aid procedure below is followed, the victim should be examined by a doctor as soon as possible.

1. If antivenin is available, it should be injected immediately.

2. If antivenin is not available, use the constrictor suction method:

a. Crush the antiseptic ampule in your fingers, remove the cardboard cover and, using the saturated swab, clean the entire area of the bite and the scalpel blade.

b. Place the lymph constrictor around the limb between the bite and the heart within 1 1/2" of the wound. Tighten only until the skin is dented. Insure there is a pulse above or below the wound. The intent is to merely retard the lymph flow. If constrictor cannot be applied due to location, simply proceed with the balance of the treatment.

c. Make 1/8 to 1/4" deep incisions over the fang marks. CAUTION - Never make an incision on fingers, toes, or a visible blood vessel.

d. Apply suction over incisions by squeezing the cup, placing it over the would and then releasing. Most of the venm should be removed over a one hour period.

e. Every 10 minutes, or as swelling spreads, loosen constrictor for 1 minute and reapply a little closer to the heart just beyond the swelling.

Do not administer alcohol or stimulants. Alcohol will spread the flow of venom through the lymph system.

Although the fatality rate from snake-bite is less than 1% for a treated bite, transportation to a hospital should be done as soon as practical. If the victim must walk, movement should be slow, with frequent stops.

Caution to apply suction.

Non-poisonous snakes may also bite. In this case you will usually see two U-shaped rows of fine tooth marks. The wound should be cleaned with mild soap and water and covered with a sterile dressing. An antibiotic ointment could also be applied if available.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Good info. I think Michigan only has one poisonous reptile and I believe it's the masasauga(sp?) rattler. Peaple here in the south (Mich) kill 'em with a vengence. Truth be known, they're what, maybe 2 feet long? I'm so scared! Still would be good to carry a snake bite kit!
Gimme a good old blue racer anytime. I'm not scared of the snakes, since I was a kid. Blue racer scared the crap outa me once, as they "stand up" and will get right in your face! Non-poisonous, tho. FFD

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
old saying if you have blue racers around you won't have rattle snakes hope that holds true. Lee

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Fistfulladirt said:
Good info. I think Michigan only has one poisonous reptile and I believe it's the masasauga(sp?) rattler. Peaple here in the south (Mich) kill 'em with a vengence. Truth be known, they're what, maybe 2 feet long? I'm so scared! Still would be good to carry a snake bite kit!
Gimme a good old blue racer anytime. I'm not scared of the snakes, since I was a kid. Blue racer scared the crap outa me once, as they "stand up" and will get right in your face! Non-poisonous, tho. FFD
The Michigan rattler is actually endangered due people's fear. I have seen a couple, but they are quite rare in Michigan due to their dwindling numbers.
Dan

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I've seen one mausauga, Killed it. It was on my lawn, and it was longer then 2 feet. They can hit 3 feet. Only been bit by one snake, a watersnake. It hurt. Been killing snakes ever since.

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there protected in michigan dont get caught killing them... i been chased by a blue racer last year i used my detectot to keep it back.. Oh from what i have read there venom can kill you but its very unlikely, something that that its not as toxic as rattlers.. but still can be dangerous.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blue racers are curious and people think they are being chased, just chase them back and they'll take off.
I caught a blue racer in the Allegan forest some years back and it finally went up a small tree and I was able(along with a friend)
to catch it. It reminded me of being a kid again. My brother accidentally caught a rattler once late in the fall
when it was really sluggish and it's tail started slowly rattling but it didn't even open it's mouth. He thought it
was a hognose when he snatched it by the neck after holding it down with a stick. I've only see a couple myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions