Snake Warnings

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was sent to me by friend in Texas!

ANOTHER SNAKE PICTURE
Ya'll need to forget about those itty, bitty snake-proof boots and find yourself a full snake-proof SUIT.., AND HAT!!!

The ranch where this big rattler was killed is outside the city of Coleman which is located in (West Texas) near Abilene . Oh, for reference, the guy stands 6'2". Seems there's been a boom in the snake population there.

My fellow friends and family,

We have killed 57 rattlesnakes on two separate ranches this year. 24 @South bend & 33 @ Murray , since mid-May. Not one has buzzed! We provoked one fair sized boy with a stick and he coiled & struck at the stick a couple of times before he buzzed up and rattled. The purpose of this explanation is that I have been hearing the same from fellow ranchers and hunters in regards to the lack of warning with rattlesnakes.
I had lunch with a friend today and he offered a theory about the fact that these bugs aren't rattling anymore. He raised pigs for years and reported that when he would hear a rattlesnake buzzing in the sow pen, the sows would bee line to it and fight over the snake. For the uninformed, pigs love to eat rattlesnakes. Therefore, the theory is they are ceasing to rattle to avoid detection, since there are plenty of pigs roaming the countryside.
I have a neighbor ranching lady who was bitten 3 weeks ago, 2 times by the same snakewithout any warning....she spent 5 days in ICU, after 22 vials of anti-venom she is back at the ranch and still may lose her foot or worse yet her lower leg. The days of perceived warning are over. Keep your boots on and use a light when out and about.
As you all know, one can pop up just about anywhere! You may wish to forward this to anyone that would be interested.

Attachments

• Snake in Texas.jpg
    Snake in Texas.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 3,027
OP
OP
goverton

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is more reason to TH in the Winter!
The ground may be hard as a rock, but don't have to watch for these Biguns!

scterryc

Jan 29, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett GTA 350
O.M.G. need anything else be said? Makes me want to stay with hunting out of the woods....Or go in the winter.

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I visited family in texas . I was walking with my cousin on his property and there were several snakes on the ground so we walked around them but we didn't see one of them because it was in a tree and it fell out of the tree and almost gave us a heart attack.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Groverton, Man that guy really gets around Coleman, Georgia and California.
Coleman has maybe one tree and no green grass. :laughing7:

Boomdeyada

Dec 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
We live in TX. Our 2 little doxies got big a month back by a small rattler. One got it on the back foot pad and the other inside the mouth. They were at the Vets for 4 days. Such a horror to see them in pain like that. However they survived and are back to normal. We are on high alert here needless to say. The other day I shot one drinking water down at the tank. (pond) as we call it. He was only 27 inches long. The only good rattler is a dead one.
This on in the picture is huge. I also saw this on Facebook from one of my friends.
Yawl be careful they are out there and not easily seen in all this dead grass. We sure need the rain. We can see it but its been missing us.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ahem..well..THAT one..let's just say they only get that big in pictures. In general though, there are plenty of rattlers around that will make your snake boots seem mighty short. I've seen more snakes this year than any other, although not necessarily rattlesnakes. I hog hunt a lot and the hogs go where the water is, along with the snakes and other critters. I rarely wear snake boots or chaps but this year has really proven the need for 'em..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread