Snakes bad

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used too think they were cool but now not as much

I seem to remember reading that it is advised to get a tetanus shot after any snake bite even from nonpoisonous snakes.

OP
OP
Joe hunter

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to remember reading that it is advised to get a tetanus shot after any snake bite even from nonpoisonous snakes.

I've never heard that hope it's not true I'm way over due on tetanus

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never heard that hope it's not true I'm way over due on tetanus

I've been bitten by quite a few garter snakes as a kid. The bite is usually no worse than getting scratched by a thorn but the snakes saliva can make it sting a little. Worse then their bite is if you pick up a wild one they will crap on you. Like if you grab their head so they can't bite they can still make you put them down. You should get a tetanus shot if you are overdue because its the thing to do, but as far as the snake bite, I think you will be fine. Be careful out there.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm beginning to think this is a conversation between joe hunter and jeff gordon and they got interrupted by other people.:laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snakes just is. They are neither bad nor evil. Just doing their best to be snakes when you interrupted.

That said: I came across a four foot rat snake in the barn this spring and about had the big one. But we went our own ways and one of us was shrieking like an eleven year old girl.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snakes just is. They are neither bad nor evil. Just doing their best to be snakes when you interrupted.

That said: I came across a four foot rat snake in the barn this spring and about had the big one. But we went our own ways and one of us was shrieking like an eleven year old girl.

Rat snakes are cool. Unless you are a rat.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snakes around red Bad!!! She Would Be Climbing Me !!! Never Mind!!! Chug

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only snake ive been bit by was ike a 2.5 foot water snake

I used to play with snakes ( still do ) as a kid like most kids do with puppies & kitties . I found a 3 1/2 ft water snake one day and got a REAL attitude adjustment from it . LOL Those water snakes are nasty critters .:laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to play with snakes ( still do ) as a kid like most kids do with puppies & kitties . I found a 3 1/2 ft water snake one day and got a REAL attitude adjustment from it . LOL Those water snakes are nasty critters .:laughing7:

You are right water snakes will bite you fast and can be mean. I used to catch snakes as a kid and sell them to pet stores.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sooo we can all agree to disagree snakes be bad? :tongue3:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And peroxide devolves the skin and increases scaring alcohol or antiseptic wipes are better

As a guy that has had a rough-and-tumble career as a construction worker, I've been injured a lot, especially in a dirty environment.

I've used peroxide (dilute) to clean the wound initially, and it's been a huge success to prevent the almost inevitable infection.

Water snakes are bad tempered; as kids we had a dispute with one over a swimming hole. We won.

Last edited:

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right water snakes will bite you fast and can be mean. I used to catch snakes as a kid and sell them to pet stores.

LOL ! Come to think of it , back in 7th grade ( long time ago ) I took baby snakes to school and sold them for $5.00 a piece . I would just carry them in my pocket all day until I had a buyer . Of course this is also around the time I figured out what girls were all about . Carrying snakes in your pockets and meeting young laies just did'nt go together to well ....:dontknow:..... The girls eventually won out ......:laughing7:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000

I have corn and rat snakes as pets and no need to get a shot. I'd just clean it with peroxide or something.
I've handled snakes regularly since I was a kid and it took 40 years before one bit me.

OP
OP
Joe hunter

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just got back from the doctor got a tetanus haven't had one in seventeen years overdue anyway (.ill stop crying now Jeff )

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a snake sink its fangs into my wrist when I was 7...still have the scars...
snakes are not evil...just snakes...I believe they are big gossips...you mess with one snake...and it tells everyone it knows...kinda like living in a small town...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread