pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello RGINN, great to have you with us, that snake looks very small in your hands, but has very nice colouring. I am not so sure about the thing with snakes eyes, to me they all look cunning ::)

Check out these pics, they were taken at a snake park. They are the Egyptian spitting cobra in attack mode, and the 2nd is striking. Sorry about the glass, but they are kept in glassed off areas.

DSC01015.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

God bless
Peter

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those cobras are scary, Peter. I can't feature a snake that would raise up to my eye level and spit in my face! My son was at Oklahoma University and did reptile research. He had some work published in 'Herpetologica', which is like the end all be all for snake people, I guess. He did research down in Texas with Laury Vitt,(sp?) a pretty cool guy who also played keyboards at one time for the Grateful Dead. Hopefully my son will check out your pics on this forum, as I know he would enjoy them. Molly, here's another old folk tale about snakes. It is said that if a dead snake stays on its back, it will rain. A long time ago, date and location will not be mentioned, I found a dead bullsnake and turned it over and made sure it would stay on its back. It rained for a week with a lot of flooding and damage. Might be something to those stories!

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a cobra would be very scary to be around, it there was not the glass in between! I've seen them a the zoo but they were asleep, and they do not look as threating that way! :icon_study:
Love these educational threads!

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talking about scales on a snake :tard: Do you guys get lizards ??? Check the size of this baby.... we do get much bigger.

Lizzy.jpg

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peter, that cobra looks scarey. I would hate to be face to face with one of those. I shudder just at the thought...
I aint too keen on those type of lizards. Peter would that be a monitor lizard? Ugly lookin critter.
I reckon they are related to the ol' dinosaurs, gators also.

I have some geko pics I took in texas, close ups too. I'll find them out. We get lots of little lizards here around the house, they have blue tails but, try getting pics, its impossible.

Molly.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Molly,

I am sorry but am unable to tell you what type of lizard this is..... I am not very much clued up on them. But here in SA we do get some masive lizards that can run very fast and knock you over if you are in the way..... I have only seen one of them before and was a little way in front of me crossing a road.... I will try and get a pic of one for you.

God bless
Peter

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a picture of our largest lizards that grow to around 5ft in size. It is a monitor lizard, which we call a "Legervaan". Not sure where this pic was taken.

Monitors.jpg

Back to snakes :-)

God Bless
Peter

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Komodo Lizard .....

Attachments

• 256px-Komodo_dragon_Varanus_komodoensis_Ragunan_Zoo_2.JPG
    256px-Komodo_dragon_Varanus_komodoensis_Ragunan_Zoo_2.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 2,050
OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics Peter & Granny. Not sure what it is but, they give me the creeps. :-\
Here's a sweet LITTLE one ( I can deal with those ::) ) Took this pic in Texas. This lizard came out to see what I was doing most days. He would just watch me gardening. I got pretty close as ya'll can see.. :D

Attachments

• GECKO.JPG
    GECKO.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,077
OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few more..

Thanks for sharin' :thumbsup:
Anyone has more snakes or lizards, feel free to post them.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• GECKO.2.JPG
    GECKO.2.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,063
  • GECKO 3.JPG
    GECKO 3.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,068

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More...

Attachments

• lizard4-800.jpg
    lizard4-800.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,045
  • aemIMGP0589_cr-712340.jpg
    aemIMGP0589_cr-712340.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 2,083

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Well, This thread sure has some leg's now !! seems to keep on going !!

biglizresize.jpg

DSC00338.jpglizard.jpg

Here a few pic's from last [08] easter , out in the desert , the girls & friend and some chukawla's , for the most part we give 'em a shot of water , maybe some fruit for there troubles ,.. then let 'em go

DSC00393.jpgrs.jpg

Heres a younger Blindpig , I lived in Australia as a boy, had lot's of fun a chas'n lizards down there !!
This is a Perentie [Varanus Giganteus ,..yeah that's funny!!] Australia's largest lizard , they get bigger then this one , but even at this size you need to watch your fingers & toe's ! I caught a few this size ,.. tied once , [ proverbial tiger by the tail ] and forfeited once ,..... he was a big one !! And with all that bite'n ,. kick'n and a scratch'n ,.... and I'm sure he was going to fight dirty as well ,.. some one was going to get hurt , .. hell it might have even been me !! ;D

Blindpig

Attachments

• biglizresize.jpg
    biglizresize.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,979
OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BP, I'm happy this thread is still goin, not what I expected but, its a delight & educational.

I just adore seeing your girls, they sure are brave, not sure I could hold a lizard.. :-\
Great pic of a young BP. I see now where your girls get their nerve from.. :D

Nice pics, thanks for helping to keep this thread goin' :thumbsup:

Molly. :)

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BP, yeah it has taken a turn (sorry my fault) I did try and bring it back on track, Just thought since they were all amphibians,,,,, ::) That chukawla's is very fat, is it pregnant or is it what they look like? I see there are some very big lizards out there in the world.
Lets keep this thread going strong, I just love all the pictures. Molly, hope you dont mind a couple of lizards in your thread?

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at all sweetheart, has you stated they are all amphibians. I'm having the time of my life looking at all the pics & stories..I am so glad I started this thread.
I agree, carry it on, anyone gets any good amphib pics, post them..

Molly.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
DSC00366.jpgrs.jpg
PETER !! , She's not fat !! ,.... she's just retaining air !! thats the chuckawla's defense , they scramble down into the rocks as you near , and inflate them -selfs . The indian's used arrow's and other pointies to "deflate" 'em ,... then ate 'em !! We use a funny trick to catch 'em . We have a black bag that we put over / in the rock-crack there in , .. and then poke at them a bit ,. they perceive the "black" bag as the abyss of the crack and ,well end of story !

Sorry on delay of response , ...Blindpig

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone,

Here is a little mixture of pics..... first one is a spider, then a frog, and then the giant Bullfrog.....
The Bullfrog can grow to a size of a football, I believe they can bite, but have never found out :tongue3: But I have played around with them, prod them to make them grunt.... and they are very loud. Enjoy them :thumbsup:

spider.jpg

Frog1.jpg

Bullfrog.jpg

God bless
Peter

DanL

Feb 17, 2007
Ellicott City, Maryland
We have a small garden pond in near our front entrance and a larger one out back so get quite a few frogs, toads, and mice and, as a result, quite a few snakes as well. Nothing unique -- just your average garter, northern brown, ring neck, and black rat snakes. For a period of about a week, this black rat snake would spend the afternoon sunning itself on a window ledge by our front door. He'd give visitors who noticed him quite a shock! :D

Attachments

• snake1.JPG
    snake1.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,876
  • snake2.JPG
    snake2.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,851

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread