SNAKES

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this isn't "Animal Planet Net" but I'm excited to share my first rattle snake experience! On Saturday my girlfriend and i decided to hit the Euchre Bar trail on the North Fork of the American River. Not sure on the milage of the trail but you go up and down over 1700' in mosquito infested forest...it was rough. But it was all worth it, right when we got back to the top of the trail i see a rattle snake sitting there sunbathing. I grabbed a stick (just in case) and got within 5 feet of the guy and managed to snap some photos before he was on his way. He paused for a moment and coiled as he left just to make sure that I wasn't up to any funny business and even rattled at me (which i caught on video!) On Sunday I headed to mineral bar and ran into a black water snake. He was lingering in an area that i was trying to prospect so i gently nudged him along and he turned away and started off, I guess i wasn't happy enough with his departing speed so i gave his tail end one more nudge which was a VERY BAD IDEA :BangHead: He turned around with the quickness and charged toward me stopping about a 3 feet from my legs and holding his ground. LOL i had to leave the area because of this snake. Guess it was my fault for provoking him so I bounced so nobody had to be bit or killed. I spent the rest of the day prospecting and looking over my shoulder for that angry serpent. Very exciting weekend.

Attachments

• 20150503_131104.jpg
    20150503_131104.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 485
  • 20150502_144336-1.jpg
    20150502_144336-1.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 361
Upvote 0

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coral..."Red and Yellow, kills a fellow" "Red and black, poison lack"

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
6cbff97f96b845f225b704b3aac08919.jpg
. Here was our latest visitor. We get quite a few of them around here.

Most definitely a coral snake. Easiest way to tell is by looking at the tail or look at the head. A coral snake only has black and yellow rings on it's tail and it's head is black and yellow. A king snake's bands stay the same the whole way and it typically has a red head.

Red touched yellow, kills a fellow. Red touched black, friend of Jack.

Alamosmoon

Dec 14, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These two were in someone else's yard- not ours. It is, a Texas Indigo (non-venomous) eating a huge rattler. We roll out the red carpet for these kinds of snakes (big non-venomous kinds).

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alamosmoon,
What part of Texas are you in? I've been out to Galveston beaches and they warn of poisonous snakes out there. I'm in Angleton below Houston. Just curious..................63bkpkr

Alamosmoon

Dec 14, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in Houston. We are in Tampa now. Do you know what? I did not see a single one while in TX., but they are there. And, we have lots here. We live on a few acres in between two swamps and fronted by a lake- so we get all kinds of amazing critters.

Wear your snake boots, when in you are in rural areas over there. I practically live in mine. The last time I wore sandals while out md'ing, I almost stepped on a Pygmy rattler. I didn't even see him, he was wearing his camo, lol.

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine having poison snakes in your yard all the time and around your building

Alamosmoon

Dec 14, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpg d.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't imagine having poison snakes in your yard all the time and around your building

pat,

It's actually not that bad. You get used to it after awhile and learn to watch where you are placing your body parts. There a seven different types pf rattler here plus the coral snake.

Here's on of my favorites: Western Hognose

th

They'll rear up and flatten their heads out like a cobra to try and scare you away and if that doesn't work, they'll roll over and play dead.

th

Even the wife thinks they are cute.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I backpacked in the outback of NorCal with rattlers around me but learned to live with them. A spot around a pool with all the water plants is a favorite place of theirs to coil up in the shade underneath one of the short water plants. One must use their hiking staff to carefully inspect the area before walking slowly through...........................63bkpkr

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
These two were in someone else's yard- not ours. It is, a Texas Indigo (non-venomous) eating a huge rattler. We roll out the red carpet for these kinds of snakes (big non-venomous kinds).

something dosent look right about that picture. They usually swallow the head first and this looks like a tail first swallow

Alamosmoon

Dec 14, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does sort of look like that. You're right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I backpacked in the outback of NorCal with rattlers around me but learned to live with them. A spot around a pool with all the water plants is a favorite place of theirs to coil up in the shade underneath one of the short water plants. One must use their hiking staff to carefully inspect the area before walking slowly through...........................63bkpkr

I love them all. Got used to watching them and they kinda grew on me. I've had them crawl over parts of me with never an issue. First time that happened scared the....outa me. But the snake was just cruising by. I always wear heavy boots and loose clothing in rattler country just in case

Alamosmoon

Dec 14, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2ca13bcf16a231544ab871e1004b1c44.jpg

cd105541f561bf8af28a4f8e72e96fa4.jpg

These black racers are my favorite. No rats/ mice here. :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread