Snapped Base Points

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Picked these KRF points up at auction a few years apart. I got the lighter one first They came out of the same collection. It took a couple of years and a few auctions to liquidate this collection of personal finds that were picked up by two brothers. I was confident with the first one, that it had it's base snapped intentionally into this configuration, most likely after being damaged. But when I laid eyes on the second one, I had to wonder if that was the case. And I knew I would be leaving with it. :-) They are so similar, I often wonder if they weren't from the same hands.

DSCN3194.jpg

DSCN3193.jpg

Upvote 0

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY INTERESTING AND BEAUTIFUL POINTS.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flaking is the same. It very well could of been made by the same person. I like to look at the flaking when I find a artifact and match it up to the others I have found from the same place. I am going to start framing them by the flaking as to each person who made them. I believe that would be very interesting.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quito
I have snapped base points and one seems to be worked at the snap. People tell me mine are worthless but the flaking is superb. I found mine with other decent pieces on a dig in the late 80's. Your material blows mine away.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a so called snap base kirk I found Monday I dont think they were broke on purpose I have seen some broke examples where the base was reworked.
IMG_20130311_124137.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that insitu. The whole snap base idea makes no practical sense to me. ... unless of course you're in the business of selling projectile points... like the fellow who coincidently came up with the type.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A gun maker makes a nice rifle then snaps off the stock......................snap base=broken point. They are still very nice points.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"snap base=broken point"

I understand that. If I had better pictures you would see there are several facets or different angles at the break/base, and they are the same on both 2 points. The odds of them breaking so similar are not good at all. My point was/is, that these are either not broken points, but were made this way, or they were broken, and repaired in same fashion.

Most snapped base points I have seen have a straight base, at the break, not several new angles put on.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"snap base=broken point"

I understand that. If I had better pictures you would see there are several facets or different angles at the break/base, and they are the same on both 2 points. The odds of them breaking so similar are not good at all. My point was/is, that these are either not broken points, but were made this way, or they were broken, and repaired in same fashion.

Most snapped base points I have seen have a straight base, at the break, not several new angles put on.

i agree with you. And the flaking is to die for. Thanks for sharing those!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morrow Mountain has different styles. Why can this have 2 styles.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've always thought the same thing about "snapped base" points. weak/thin part of point + pressure from being tied to shaft + impact = point snapped off at the base through regular use...just an opinion, I wasn't there...haha

Greg

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gun maker makes a nice rifle then snaps off the stock......................snap base=broken point. They are still very nice points.

The one base looks worked the other looks broke can we see new pictures of the whole base area for both. Not worried about full point pictures, but if this thread is going to discuss the base aspects of a possible snapped based point I think we need to see pictures of the bases to see what you are seeing..........Thanks Quito.........

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The one base looks worked the other looks broke can we see new pictures of the whole base area for both. Not worried about full point pictures, but if this thread is going to discuss the base aspects of a possible snapped based point I think we need to see pictures of the bases to see what you are seeing..........Thanks Quito.........

Ok this should help a bunch!

DSCN3225-1.jpg

DSCN3226.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to bump this for you.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok this should help a bunch!

DSCN3225-1.jpg

DSCN3226.jpg

yes, this is what I understood you to mean the first time. Each base has several facets, but are they exact matches? The darker one seems to have 2, the lighter 3 facets? The lighter one in particular just seems like a very odd break. Hard to say. If you had 20 of them, something would be up, but would it be deliberate or a function of a defect in the hafting strategy? One would think they would revise the hafting if that were the case. But weakness in the rock, as in veins, might cause odd angled breaks too.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a clear difference in the patina at the break.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
There's a clear difference in the patina at the break.

No sir Gator, I respectfully disagree, it just looks much darker at the break (lack of sun). The break is patinated, and there is a very nice mineral deposit. I just scoped it again. It's probably easier to see the lack of change in hand like is usually the case. Hopefully this picture will show the break area much lighter the the previous. The area has the typical light hazing, KRF usually shows before it turns white.

DSCN3223.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"Each base has several facets, but are they exact matches? The darker one seems to have 2, the lighter 3 facets?"

You have a good eye. The facets aren't exact matches, but I figure they were just trying the make the base a certain shape.

The darker on does appear to have two angles, or facets, but on the right side, that portion breaks toward both faces. There is a median ridge if you will, that runs the length of the break on that side. It is an odd break as you put it, as well.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ quito..So if these are made as they look how do you think they were hafted? Do you feel they were done differently from the other style with the stem or do you think maybe they were done like a Celt would of been hafted in a handle for a knife?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread