42.5 KB · Views: 268
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I don't believe in the whole "snap base" theory. I think it was just created by some, mainly Overtsreets, to make some money on broken points. These are just points with the base broken off.

OP
OP
jmfg222

jmfg222

Dec 10, 2008
murray county GA.
so they break the turkey tails but nothing else i'm still learning from all this but it seems like it will take forever.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turkeytails were broken ceremonially and then put in Caches usually covered in Red Ochre. Points like the one above are just pieces that have had the base broken off by farm equipment.

A

archaeon

DorkFish said:
Personally, I don't believe in the whole "snap base" theory. I think it was just created by some, mainly Overtsreets, to make some money on broken points. These are just points with the base broken off.
ditto, but awesome blade!

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
I don't think snapped bases were made that way in the beginning, but I have snapped base points with thinning flakes attempted. That tells me they were used after the initial break.

A

archaeon

SoIll said:
I don't think snapped bases were made that way in the beginning, but I have snapped base points with thinning flakes attempted. That tells me they were used after the initial break.
yes, i agree, i have seen that also

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with you all on snapped base points. I always figured they broke off in use since the break is usually where the hafting would end. Stick the point in something hard and maybe twisting or the movement of the quarry snapped it off above the hafting? Just an idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread