Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well from what I've read and heard not having done this myself - you use a waterproof coil in streams searching for signals then you pan that area and see if you find gold dust or nuggets. Rivers? No idea as they can run pretty deep.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sniping is simply searching for gold by hand using minimal tools. You can do it dry or underwater or with a detector. Walk along a river and look for exposed bedrock and pick out the cracks to find nuggets and pickers

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey H&F909ORO..

Sniping for Gold
Crevicing + Sniping for Gold Nuggets
Sniping for gold. Placer gold prospecting
Sniping is pretty simple and cheap way to look for gold...Research areas that have produced gold...then the work begins... Always remember that gold will only move in a stream or river when the water is real high and very fast...the gold will only fall out of the current in low pressure areas...Cracks in the rocks are natural riffles so check them...Most of the tools you will need can be made by you..If you want to open these crack up only buy high quality chisels and get a large pry bar that will not bend.Learn what the bedrock should look like...Look for false bedrock..If the cracks run into the stream it can be very productive to work them...
..Art

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing that Art left out is that sniping is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Yes....After the Doctors made me get out of the water it let me continue my hunting for gold..Art

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold is not really " in the current" with the exception of fine gold. The kind of gold you find sniping is moving on or near the bottom of suspended material. that does slow or stop due to low pressure areas. most pickers are pushing along and drop into a crack or trap, and typically stay there for eternity or until I come along and pop them out with a screwdriver or crevice tool. Once Gold is in a crack it is very difficult for flooding to remove it. Get a mask and snorkel good river shoes a screwdriver, long teezers. one good cold chisel and a prospectors hammer, some kind of bulb sucker something bigger than a snuffer bottle and maybe a small paintbrush for above water work, throw them in your pack with a pan and start exploring.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Art , I see you are a dowser -cool. I do as well . I certainly need more practice with it on gold. I can sure nail water , utility services and other misc. stuff very easily. Of course most people can. I've found coins and a little Au. Where about in N.Nev are you located? [ if you don't mind my asking] I'm near Twin in Id

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread